Author Topic: Robert and Martha Parsons last seen near Dover 1881  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Martha Parsons last seen near Dover 1881
« Reply #54 on: Monday 14 May 18 07:04 BST (UK) »
1889 Islington death - I bought this certificate and it was definitely not Robert  :'(

1895 sighting. We know that Martha's death entry in 1898 says she had been widow Parsons but it doesn't say when. Her 'marriage' to George McNicol was, I'm thinking anyway, defacto as she continues to be Martha Parsons (her married status or his or just choice??) I can't find a marriage to James Conn (doesn't mean there wasn't one) so that may have been defacto as well. She was noted as being a widow to James Conn but a marriage and death could have happened in 3 years or even a year. But agreed, I think Robert in 1895 is probably drawing a long bow!!!
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 07:58 BST (UK) »
In reply #36 reference is made to John Parsons having possibly previously served in the army before becoming a Mounted Guard. I can confirm that he had served as a private with the 3rd Dragoon Guards before joining the Mounted Guard in March 1834. This is confirmed on the nomination roll ADM 175/78 pdfs 76 & 77, Nom number 4687; this file can be downloaded for free from the National Archives website. To trace his army history you would need to consult the regimental muster rolls held at the National Archives.

Unfortunately the men serving with the Mounted Guard are not as well documented as the Coastguard men, but I did find two further entries for him in ADM 175/6, pdfs 709 & 760.

Hope this is of interest and help.

Martin
Coastguards of Yesteryear

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 09:06 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you so much Martin! I look forward to accessing these documents and learning more about John. Really appreciate your help 😊 This will settle some family debate!!!
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons