Author Topic: WW2 radio hams Newcastle Area  (Read 1889 times)

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 radio hams Newcastle Area
« on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
Fred Watts b.28/7/1911 was a radio ham working for Cable and Wireless Nairobi up to 1937 when he returned to the 'North East' I believe he was listening to german morseduring ww2 but can't prove it. Does anyone know anything about 'listening stations' in the Newcastle area or anything to do with radio hams in that area? I know he isn't listed at Bletchley Park, but there were places listening to morse and the messages ended up at Bletchley. Any help much appreciated. Carolmc

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 radio hams Newcastle Area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this. 

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1627&displayorder=100

However, it may help to send your information to the North East War Memorials Project - there are some very knowledgeable people there concerning war history.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
A quick web search reveals the actual stations were called Y Stations
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/the-y-stations.418409/

That gives a list and there seems to have been one in Stockton on Tees,though it doesn't mention if amateur operators fed info to them, the local archives may have some info?

If you have access to usenet then there is a group called uk.radio.amateur who may be able to point you in the right direction. If you don't have access to usenet, then you could post to the group via Google Groups.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
There is an incoming passenger list for a Fred Watts, age 26, radio engineer who arrived in London aboard the Dunluce Castle from South Africa on 13 Sep 1937. His intended address in the UK was, as far as I can read it, Fox St Sunderland.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
There is a death notice in the Sunderland Daily Echo 18 Dec 1937
WATTS - At 11 Fox St on December 17 (suddenly) Edith, beloved wife of Fred Watts. Interment at Bishopwearmouth Cemetery on Tuesday; cortege leaving residence 2.15

FreeBMD shows this lady was 51, so maybe this is Fred jnr's Mam and could help confirm his intended address on the passenger list and help you to refine North East as the area he was in when he returned?

Though given his age and skills I would have thought he would be in the services in some capacity during WW2 and not operating as as amateur radio listener.
A free search of the 1939 register only brings up one Fred Watts with that birthdate and he is in London, which could mean its your Fred or maybe he 'was' in the forces and therefore not on the register?

Boo

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo
Thank you for replying. All the info on Fred Watts is 100% correct. He was almost blind and exempt from joining the armed forces. He was extremely clever and had a photographic memory and as 1 of some 3000 radio hams in the UK would have volunteered.  I think he went to London 1939 to train as a listener of german morse code. He is not listed at Bletchley Park, but could have been a civilian working at a listening station in the Newcastle area. I'd just like to prove it. Carolmc

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 18 14:49 BST (UK) »

A free search of the 1939 register only brings up one Fred Watts with that birthdate and he is in London, which could mean its your Fred or maybe he 'was' in the forces and therefore not on the register?

The was also pointed out in reply #3 of this thread  :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748669.msg5963218#msg5963218

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
whoops little Miss Echo strikes again :-)
But I always just assume that if there has been a previous thread the poster will let us know, or at least tell us what they already know. Having read that the Fred Watts "returned to the 'North East' " I thought the info to narrow down where he returned to would assist.

Boo

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 October 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
There is now, and I think there has always been, a register of amateur radio operators in the UK. I know because I am an amateur radio operator.That register would give you his name, location and callsign. It is likely his callsign at that time might have commenced G2+2 letters or G3+2 letters or G5+ 2 letters

The Radio Society of Great Britain may be able to help at

https://rsgb.org

I have a licence to transmit and a listing in the callsign handbook that I have mentioned would have been conditional on him having a similar licence. If not, he may have registered as a shortwave listener. I think at that time operators would have been regulated by the Post Office so there might be something in Post Office records about him.

The only requirement for him to operate as a Y station would have been competence in reading morse which doesn't mean he was necessarily a registered radio ham as such. He could have been a commercial telegraphist...a Marconi man or similar.

Looking back through the thread it seems likely that he was a commercial telegraphist with Cable & Wireless or even a marine radio operator.