Author Topic: Finding photos of ancestors online  (Read 6037 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: Finding photos of ancestors online
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Beware of photos attached to family trees. A relative had an odd photo, found on an Ancestry tree, of my relative David Adkins (1859-1950) - oddly dressed, strange face, very short and stocky - that didn't look like him in a photo in which he's named on Windows on Warwickshire when he was an old man - admittedly he was short, but proportionate.

Closer examination showed outsize shamrocks. I think it was a cropped postcard of someone dressed as a leprechaun!
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline juliebeg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 May 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who was in the RAF and was shot down and killed in April 1918.  I have researched his regiment etc to see if I could find a photo but nothing.   I then found out where he was educated and went to their site and found a school photo of him.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Nanna52,, unless the listing was particularly old you should be able to find it on eBay, click on the image to enlarge it, then right click and save it.

Whenever I see those old traditional school photographs in charity shops or at Fairs, I always think that someone somewhere would love that. There ought to be a website to reunite old photographs with the family. There's an idea for someone.

Martin

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 May 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
I've sometimes found some photos of interest just by Searching via Google Images - a name and/or a location, and I've picked up several that way.
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
I have found lots of photos on line, probably dozens, especially searching in college and high school yearbooks.  I've also found several pictures of houses occupied by ancestors.  Here's an example from the University of Oregon, 1902.  My grandmother is fourth from the left in the middle row.  She was in several other university photos, as well.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
I search everywhere and am known as the family archivist  ;D 
My cousin and I spent today going through some pics she has and oh how lovely to see .. Our Gran bless her looking beautiful just before she sadly died early

some great pics.. Car boots are a good source.. as well.

xin

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:47 BST (UK) »
Martin I did that as soon as I saw it.  It was the first photo I saw of him.  Missed the listing by less than a month.

Erato that is a lovely photo with your mother in.

Xin I have various photos that I have no idea who are in them and unfortunately no-one to ask.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:59 BST (UK) »
Nanna52,, unless the listing was particularly old you should be able to find it on eBay, click on the image to enlarge it, then right click and save it.

Whenever I see those old traditional school photographs in charity shops or at Fairs, I always think that someone somewhere would love that. There ought to be a website to reunite old photographs with the family. There's an idea for someone.

Martin

Done!!  Here you go Martin - it's even searchable ....   👍 https://www.ancientfaces.com
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 May 18 02:04 BST (UK) »
I have absolutely no photographs of my grandparents (on my fathers side) or any previous generations. I asked a question about 2 years ago on Rootschat as my grandfather and his brother weren't on the 1901 census. About 6 months later I got an email from a lady who had been married to a 2nd cousin of mine (sadly now deceased), who had found the question, and found out that he has a brother who is still alive and well. Not only was it a thrill finding a 2nd cousin but when we got in touch he supplied me with photos of our great grandparents and my great uncle (and family). I'm heading back to the UK shortly and we have promised to catch up and I can return a favour by showing him our great grandparents grave which I found on my last visit to the UK.
I can only thank the powers of Rootschat for making all of this possible, I suppose this can be classified as finding photographs of ancestors online!!
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields