Author Topic: 1851 How is Rebecca Russell, Niece in the DUNHILL Household?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 How is Rebecca Russell, Niece in the DUNHILL Household?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 May 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
Parents of Catherine Hinds?

Marriage Faldingworth Lincolnshire 14 Feb 1792

John Hinds and Elizabeth Russel

William

Hello

Thank you William, but isn't that Elizabeth Russell, one generation too far backward?

My Niece is my Sister's Daughter. I know I am her Uncle, as she calls me Uncle Mark.
(or My Niece is my Brother's Daughter).

Somebody else appears to be asking about Captain William Dunhill.

Mark

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/dunhill/8/

Claimed here in the link that William & Catharine Dunhill and Rebecca Russell went abroad ... 

"Trying to locate information about Captain William Dunhill, husband of Catharine Hinds Dunhill. Information we have from the Faldingworth Parish records indicates a William Dunnil of Selby, Yorkshire, and Catherine Hinds were married 26 January, 1821, with the consent of John Hinds, her natural father. John Hinds was my GGG Grandfather.
 Some 30 years after this marriage (August 1851) they moved to the Caledonia, Ohio area from England. Catharine died November 22, 1868 her Obituary (which I have) mentions her husband Capt. William Dunhill. They also had an adopted daughter Rebecca Russell Dunhill who died November 6, 1862 at the age of 26. We know that Catharine and Rebecca are buried in the Thew Cemetery (sometimes called the English cemetery), Claridon Township, Marion County, Ohio. Shortly after Catherine's death, William disposed of several pieces of property and evidently left the state. Note the spelling of Dunnil as used in England was changed to Dunhill here in America. It is believed that William would have been born sometime prior to 1800.
"

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 May 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
I think we have to take the relationship niece with a pinch of salt.  She's probably related in some way but not in the way we imagine.  Niece was likely the closest they could come up with - not really space to describe the relationship accurately even if they could (daughter of sister's first husband for instance).  If the family can be worked backwards and sideways, to include remarriages if any, it will no doubt become plain.

I have relatives described as lodgers and boarders, who I'd never have recognised as relatives if the surname hadn't rung bells, and others just as relative.  On the up side, niece probably means not too distant.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 May 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure why you are dismissing the 1792 marriage.  Catharine is supposedly aged 49 in 1851 census, making a birth year of 1802 and marries in 1821 - supposedly 21, and her natural father is named as John.  So not unreasonable that she is the daughter of John and Elizabeth.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 May 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Faldingworth - 19 April 1801 - baptism of Catharine daughter of John and Elizabeth Hinds.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 May 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Parents of Catherine Hinds?

Marriage Faldingworth Lincolnshire 14 Feb 1792

John Hinds and Elizabeth Russel

William

Hello All

Thank you William, I'll take this Elizabeth Russel who married John Hinds 1792 to be the link, for thy Census Niece.

I have checked the 1792 Faldingworth Marriage image (viewer image 13) on Lincs to the Past and it says Elizabeth Russel of this Parish Spinster.

Do we know how Richard RUSSELL a Capt. who married Mary TURNER, at Selby, 7th July 1835, of the Parish of Selby, links up to Elizabeth Russel please?

Thank you, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 May 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

Thank you all for the replies.

According to Claire, it seems William Dunhill had a Sister called Harriet Chambers and was back in Yorkshire by the 1871 Census.

Likely, where the name for Dunhill's Schooner "Harriet" came from.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 March 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

The father of Rebecca Russell was Capt. Richard Russell of the Fama. Richard Russell married Mary Turner at Selby in 1835, wits John Midwood & Hannah Creaser. The Fama had previously been sailed by Dunhill (before c.1835) and before Dunhill, by Turner (likely to be the Son or descendant of Charles Turner who married Maudland Hood at Selby in 1794).

I now have a Birthplace for Richard Russell, born Hawick, age 26 in 1835 so Richard Russell was born about 1809, but cannot find a Birth / Baptism?

Richard Russell was buried at Selby, Yorkshire, aged 30 in 1840.

Snippet about Richard Russell's Birthplace recently posted here
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792827.msg6906263#msg6906263

Added:
Despite trying, I should like to trace Richard Russell's Birth / Baptism, can anyone else have a try, please?

I only have an Earl Russell of Hawick 18th Century to 1830 (newspaper), a Lord John Russell (linked with Minto near Hawick 1840s) and an Alexander Russell, Hawick (from newspapers 1830s & 1840s).

Also a Rev. Russell of Hawick, apparently Father of John Scott Russell (J. Scott Russell & Co., Ship Builder of the SS Great Eastern). Designer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Mark