Author Topic: Out worker  (Read 2243 times)

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Out worker
« on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
 I have come across an ancestor whose occupation was "outworker" . This was in Scotland in 1870 and a female. What would this typically be?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Meggy
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Out worker
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Outworker   A person engaged in outdoor work, field work or work away from the shop or factory
Glossary Scotlands People https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/glossary/O?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 18 08:28 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you Stan, that's kind of what I was thinking. I never thought to use the glossary on Scotland's People  ::) I'll check there next time!

Meggy
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
It can also describe someone who works for a firm but who does the work at their own home.
This being England not Scotland,so possibly different as I have seen the term "outdoor worker" meaning an Ag Lab.
My G.Grandma was an"  outworker"( 1891census).,working for Affleck`s and Brown`s on Oldham St. Manchester.
She lived in Reather St. just up Oldham Rd.
She would ,in this case collect  fine garments the from  the posh shop and her job was to do the "fine finishing" .She did it at her home.
This was stitching beads and braid, ribbons ,frogging(looped braid in whorls like on uniforms of the time but on ladies garments too.)Lace and buttons.When finished she would put the clothes back in the  big bag they had been carried in and delivered them  back to the shop.
My dad often went with her and remembered the Commissioner( I always thought that was spelled differently as we said COMMISSIONAIRE-someone in a uniform who meets and greets,opens vehicle doors etc. for clients of  a shop or hotel) on the door always opened it for her and raised his hat even though she was just an outworker. Why she went in that way I am not sure ,you would have expected her to use the tradesman`s entrance round the back in Tib St.
I know they were very poor and lived in what  was not a very salubrious area and had the posh women who wore those clothes seen the conditions where the beads etc were applied to their garments they would have been in deep shock!!!!   ::) ::) ::) ::)
/There are photographs of women and children in Angel Meadow M/C making brushes in their homes ,late 1800`s.there ,also outworkers.
My dad was born 1897and his Grandma live to 1910 as far as I remember.
So late Victorian/Edwardian days.
                                                 Viktoria

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Viktoria, interesting reading! I'm glad your g grandma used the front door to deliver her work !

Meggy

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 May 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
In Leicestershire there were many outworkers in the shoe trade. Again England so maybe the word is used differently in England.

There were still outworkers in the 1980s. Although they would be tied into working for one firm the employers often claimed that the workers were self-employed so that they (the employers) wouldn't have to pay NI, sickness benefit, holiday pay etc. The workers also used their own electricity. I remember in the 1980s there were some lobbyists and MPs trying to get the practice outlawed and for the workers to be regarded as employees. Not sure that they suceeded (these were the Thatcher years) so maybe it still goes on today.

Brie

Brie

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 May 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you Brie and Youngtug. Interesting reading.

Meggy