Author Topic: Greenwich pensioner?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Greenwich pensioner?
« on: Thursday 10 May 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have just discovered something exciting! My four times great-grandfather was a Greenwich Pensioner. I had never heard of the term until now. Below is the record:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGC7-1LM

Can anyone locate service records for William? He was born in 1801 in Millbrook. His parents were William and Hannah Pepper.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich pensioner?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
My 3xgrt grandfather was a Greenwich pensioner. He was in the Marines during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars. I found lots of records for him. I am certain they were on Find My Past. I have just tried to check but FindMyPast is experiencing "technical difficulties". 
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few military records for a William Pepper on FindMyPast, you would probably need to view them yourself to establish which is yours. They are not all indexed by age or place of birth
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Silaswall,

Wow! I didn't think records would be as well-kept back then. It's certainly an exciting discovery for me. Other than my grandad doing National Service in the RAF and a great-grandad serving in the Great War, none of my other ancestors have served in the Armed Forces - most were too old, too young, or not fit enough. Thanks for checking!

Rosie99,

Yes, well William Pepper is quite a common name I imagine. I don't think he could've served long as he married in Maulden in 1820, and worked as an agricultural labourer, as given on my 3x great-grandad's 1841 marriage certificate.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Serving in the Royal Marines in March 1830: William Pepper, aged 30, born Millbrook, A Private 3rd Class on board the Scylla, on the Malta and Tripoli station. Portsmouth Division, 86th Company.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
That's great! Thanks so much!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
His attestation papers are at the National Archives. See:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10331277 and
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10033196

Attested 1824, discharged 1843 (invalided).

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Perfect. Thank you so much.

Have you any idea what sort of work he did in the Marines?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
So now you know why he wasn't with the family in 1841.

To quote from Wikipedia "Marines had a dual function aboard ships of the Royal Navy; routinely, they ensured the security of the ship's officers and supported their maintenance of discipline in the ship's crew, and in battle, they engaged the enemy's crews, whether firing from positions on their own ship, or fighting in boarding actions."