Author Topic: Greenwich pensioner?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Greenwich pensioner?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 May 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Wow. Presumably he injured himself in war if he was discharged as an invalid. Or caught scurvy, any number of things could've happened. Thanks so much for your help! Is there anything else on William that you can find?
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 May 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, Just logged on to tell you it was FindMyPast. Other people have helped you out. I discovered that my ancestor had eye and leg injuries. By tracing his ships (named in the records) found out that he was on a ship that stopped the French Revolutionary Army landed in the south of Ireland with the intention of supporting an uprising. He never went ashore. Not all good news as the Irish received dreadful treatment.

Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 May 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
What extraordinary detail! Amazing to think such excellent records were kept 200 years ago.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
As I said to someone else on RootsChat a few months ago whose ancestor was a Royal Marine during Napoleonic Wars, if you want to see them in action, watch "Hornblower" TV series. They were made for ITV around 20 years ago. Repeated recently. The soldiers in the TV series "Banished" (2015) may have been Royal Marines.
Cowban

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 May 18 07:52 BST (UK) »
I remember watching Banished at the time! Shame it only lasted one series. I'll look for Hornblower.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 May 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
There should  be a lot more on William Pepper's Royal marines service and the nature of his disability  in those attestation and discharge papers at the National Archives. If you can't get to TNA yourself, you can ask for a quote on the cost of digitising the records, or put out a request on the Common Room board to see if anyone is going to TNA and could take a look for you.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 May 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I'll set one up now.