Author Topic: Inquest  (Read 2294 times)

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Inquest
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 May 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, Death certificate says the cause of death is Heart Disease Natural Causes, so if its natural causes I wonder why there was  a need for an inquest.
Thanks for your help
Jacqueline
Jones Shotwick Cheshire, Moxley 7 yorkshire , Cooper Manchester, hayton Dewsbury & Wakefield, Crowther Horbury

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, Death certificate says the cause of death is Heart Disease Natural Causes, so if its natural causes I wonder why there was  a need for an inquest.
Thanks for your help
Jacqueline

There are, however, exceptions to this general rule; sometimes, the precise circumstances of death are only determined at inquest, and a coroner might then be able to give a verdict of natural causes.
See http://jcp.bmj.com/content/53/5/340

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 May 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Stan.
Regards Jacqueline
Jones Shotwick Cheshire, Moxley 7 yorkshire , Cooper Manchester, hayton Dewsbury & Wakefield, Crowther Horbury

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 May 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, could any one help find the Inquest for Elizabeth Horne dated 9 Jan 1893 in Leeds. I've got the death cert which states she died from Heart Disease so I'm wondering why it went to the Coroner.

Hello Jacqueline

Possibly a sudden death unknown cause.

Does the certificate say heart disease certified 2 weeks (or other period), suggesting the heart trouble was known about before death?

Mark

Thanks for your help
Jacqueline

There are, however, exceptions to this general rule; sometimes, the precise circumstances of death are only determined at inquest, and a coroner might then be able to give a verdict of natural causes.
See http://jcp.bmj.com/content/53/5/340

Stan

Hello Jacqueline

If a person drops dead suddenly or collapses and is pronounced dead, the cause of death to begin with appears sudden and unknown, perhaps even unatural. The Coroner would have been notified and relatives and witnesses would be called to an Inquest (probably at a local public house), usually that evening or the following day.

The Coroner after Inquiring was obviously satisfied either by the witness evidence and/or an Examining Doctor present that heart disease caused the death and therefore has returned natural causes.

----------

I have an 1870 example of an ancestor's brother, William Hood dying 5th July 1870 aged 54 who had been out digging up potatoes at his home called Byefield that morning, walked about two miles into the nearby town of Selby, and collapsed in front of his mother Sarah Hood at their premises and died. They still had an Inquest, it appeared he had been troubled before, but died suddenly from natural causes, probably heart disease, was returned.

Mark

Added: do you have the Coroner's name and building name / pub name where the Inquest was held? Due to OCR scanning of old newspaper type face, I cannot find her searching name only? Not all were published.

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 May 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, That explanation makes more sense to me, she was only 23 years old.
I've attached the coroners name.
Thanks for your help
Jacqueline

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacqueline

Young age too at 23 years old!

Stan's point about that the Coroner wants to establish "the precise circumstances of death" is relevant.

If witnesses were present, the Coroner would likely want to hear first hand what they saw, any mention of pains or health complaints previously, especially if death occurred suddenly or was unatural. Witnesses giving evidence, swear an Oath first.

----------

Not much, but regarding Jno C Malcolm

The Yorkshire Evening Post,  Monday 9th January 1893

Two of the deaths inquired into at the Town Hall that afternoon, got into the evening newspaper ...

CAUGHT IN THE FLAMES.
LEEDS AND HORSFORTH BURNING FATALITIES.
This afternoon, the Leeds Borough Coroner, Mr. J. C. Malcolm, held a court at the Town Hall, one of the deaths inquired into being that of Ben Appleyard, aged five, of Cragg Hill, Horsforth, who died at the Leeds Infirmary ...

Mr. Malcolm also held an Inquest upon the body of Isabella Burnell (47), of 11, Blackburn Yard, Holbeck Lane, Leeds, who was admitted to the Infirmary on Friday ...

Both were accidental death. Reference to a Jury in the first case above.

Leeds Coroner 1927 to 1993
Looks like those files went to WYAS, Wakefield
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F219247

Pity, looks like 1927 is the earliest for Leeds 
https://huddersfield.exposed/offtherecord/index.php/Coroners_records

Mark

Offline shuttle35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 May 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark, I do appreciate all the help I've been given. I'm a person that likes to know from the thread to the needle (as they say) but its not always possible. I am going to Wakefield Archives so I will see if they can tell me  anything different then I will have to leave it at that.
Thanks again to everyone
Jacqueline