Author Topic: DNA Match friendly?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline MIG79

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Match friendly?
« on: Friday 11 May 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
I have seen quite a few messages complaining about people not responding to contact regarding Ancestry DNA Matches. Indeed I have only sent out a couple of messages but had no response.

What about adding something to your public profile to indicate your willingness to respond to messages? On my public profile I have "Always interested to hear from DNA matches or those researching the same families".

Could a standard phrase be adopted - on our public profile - by those of us who would respond?
Barker. N Wales & Cheshire.
Marshall. N Wales & Staffordshire.
Ellis. N Wales plus...
Parry. N Wales plus...
Unitt. Staffordshire.
Clark. Staffordshire & Worldwide.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Match friendly?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 May 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
It's only my guess, but I would imagine that anybody who goes to the effort of doing something positive like joining a forum like this would definitely be interested in contacting relatives. I think it's more important to try and create enthusiasm from those who aren't that interested. I've said elsewhere that I think many people get DNA kits as trendy presents and aren't that interested. They probably only do the actual test just to placate the person who gave them the present. I would certainly respond to anybody but I know my brother and my sister just wouldn't be interested.

Martin

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
I'm not a member, but have a cousin who is or was. He allowed me to 'look over his shoulder'. I searched a few names. I came across an entry with photograph attached which had been lifted from another Site where I had put it. That's fine by me, more the merrier.

Only trouble is the photograph was annotated 'my mother' and I had assumed it was written by her daughter. Not so, her grand daughter. A relation had another original which was dated 1923. When I had access to 1901 Census, husband was 'widower'. The lady in point died in 1897.

I wrote to the Ancestry member explaining the cause of my original error. No reply and as far as I know the erroneously ID'd photo is still there.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
There's one tree including my late father in law, along with a picture of a famous musician of the same name!

Another lists my GGM as dying in 1948, 15 years before she bounced me on her knee.  Again, no replies nor updates.

Martin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 May 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
I'm usually the contacter rather than the contactee.

It's not uncommon for people not to reply.  It's particularly frustrating when the people who don't reply are from one of the more 'frustrating' branches of the tree. 

Clearly, from the mutual matches with people in this 'frustrating' branch, some of these 'frustrating' matches are extremely likely to be descendants of siblings of one of my great grandmothers, so quite close matches, but they may have good reason for not making contact and would prefer to lie low.

Offline MIG79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 May 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies, I agree with pretty much all of replies.

My post was really pondering on how to signal to others that-
1, I am using Ancestry to trace and record my family tree
2, I am using DNA to try and help to build my family tree
3, I am open to being contacted by others.

From what I see on Rootschat most are really interested in their family tree. I would agree there are many on Ancestry DNA matches that aren't!

I haven't seen another Ancestry member that has "Say hello if our DNA matches" on the profile.

Cheers
Ian

Barker. N Wales & Cheshire.
Marshall. N Wales & Staffordshire.
Ellis. N Wales plus...
Parry. N Wales plus...
Unitt. Staffordshire.
Clark. Staffordshire & Worldwide.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
Ian, In principal it sounds like a good idea, and I may use it.

However, I doubt if many people look at profiles.  I occasionally do, and am surprised by the number of people willing to help others, perhaps look up a record, visit a local churchyard for photos etc etc, but who still don't reply to a simple, courteous message about a possible DNA match.

Regards Margaret

Addendum
Done, I have added 'I have had my DNA tested at ancestryDNA, and am always willing to correspond with matches' to my profile.
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go