Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are 2018 celebs named  (Read 7292 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are 2018 celebs named
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 May 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
...but it's still better than no programmes about any aspects of Family History!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 May 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
I confess I haven't heard of many of the people, but that doesn't matter to me.  I just enjoy the interesting stories the researchers dig up.

WDYTYA may have its weaknesses, but if it draws in people interested in "celebs" and sparks an interest in family history to a new audience that alone makes it useful.

What I would really like to see is a Time Team style programme with a bunch of experts and locals digging into archives - but I don't think I'll ever see one on national TV.  Maybe local history groups could film their activities for local viewing?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
I confess I haven't heard of many of the people, but that doesn't matter to me.  I just enjoy the interesting stories the researchers dig up.

WDYTYA may have its weaknesses, but if it draws in people interested in "celebs" and sparks an interest in family history to a new audience that alone makes it useful.

What I would really like to see is a Time Team style programme with a bunch of experts and locals digging into archives - but I don't think I'll ever see one on national TV.  Maybe local history groups could film their activities for local viewing?
The BBC's 'Murder, Mystery and My Family' was kind of like that, I think - I didn't see a full episode though, so I'm not exactly sure of the format but the glimpse I did see involved a relative looking through old newspapers or something of that ilk to find out information.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 May 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
I have seen the odd episode of Judge Rinder but switched off for good because he is so crude and rude and is a wannabe Judge Judy and will never ever be a Judge Judy. But I will be interested in his WDYTYA episode, we may see him in a different light. I have seen his "Judge Rinder's Crime Stories" and he is much more humble on that.

As said the new WDYTYA is the usual bog standard tear jerker, or the link to royalty, historic figures.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
"Judge Rinder"? - What is that?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 25 May 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
Well, I've learned something now.... doesn't sound my sort of thing, at all. Thanks for the info, Carol8353.

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 May 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Like several other contributors to this thread I only know who two of these people are. I don't watch much mainstream TV. I will continue to watch WDYTYA as I usually find the stories interesting whoever the subject is. Someone mentioned that it is sad that a former participant, Bruce Forsyth, is no longer with us. That is true and don't forget also John Hurt and Robin Gibb. I can think of several people whose family stories I would like to see featured: I think Tony Robinson would make a good subject (I don't think he has appeared on the programme, if he has I missed it), also geneticist Steve Jones as he would add a very interesting slant to the programme.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
New Series starts next week 6th June 9pm on BBC1, the first one is Michelle Keegan (Our Girl and Corrie)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk