Author Topic: Who Do You Think You Are 2018 celebs named  (Read 7293 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are 2018 celebs named
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 May 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
And also, a well-known and well-liked celebrity doesn't always make for an interesting programme!
Remember that Michael Parkinson's story was considered too mundane, and never aired. ;)

I often find that the 'celeb's I don't like have the most interesting stories.

Were Michael Parkinson's ancestors coal miners? Hard to make an interesting story there I imagine.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 May 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
;D
Haha Xin, I don't care much for the term "celebs" either, and am generally not a fan of shortening words. I only used it because I always forget how to spell celebreties, and need to google the correct spelling.

As I am on my ipad and find that slower going and more of a pain to look things up whilst writing up a post on rootschat, I decided to take the lazy option and shorten the word.

In addition, for some unknown reason, if I write part of a reply, open a new window to look something up, then return to finish what I was writing, often my whole message is gone .... I didn't want that to happen, hence using "celeb".  ;D

OH dear Ruskie,

my moan was a generality and not aimed at you xx

So forgive me if it seems that way.. Some days the on switch only flickers in my brain :)  it needs a new fuse

ha ha ... sorry

xin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 May 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
That's fine Xin.  ;)

;D

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 May 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
I`m looking forward to a new series, and I have heard of all the people on the upcoming episodes. Some not my favourites, but their ancestor`s stories might turn out to be interesting.

Online kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 May 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie and I'm looking forward to it.  Some names I know better than others but I prepare to be surprised. 

Yes it may be a bit dated but I would still prefer to watch wdytya than the endless antique, cooking, reality tv or endless football which now seems to be every flipping night!

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
Yes it may be a bit dated but I would still prefer to watch wdytya than the endless antique, cooking, reality tv or endless football which now seems to be every flipping night!

Kerryb
Don't worry! The footy season is now ending, so there will be a break before it next takes over our schedules....

…. of about three days.

There will be "friendlies", cup matches, internationals, matches between foreign teams you've never heard of (all preceded by an hour of inane waffle beforehand, and a further 90 minutes after) ...

...and then endless tennis, snooker and darts tournaments, each of which will be televised for more than 12 hours a day. Some of these will overlap so that you will consider violence against their organisers.

Some of us may have to hide in the pub (the one without a telly).  ;D ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 May 18 22:36 BST (UK) »

Were Michael Parkinson's ancestors coal miners? Hard to make an interesting story there I imagine.

An industry that goes back to Roman times. The engineering, the industrial revolution, the fight to end child labour (particularly after the Huskar disaster, which happened not far from where Michael Parkinson is from), the Royal Commission into conditions. The well documented stories of the women who worked in them, the 'pit brow lasses'. The rise of the trade unions, the evictions of miners and their familes, and the lock outs. The general stikes (1842 and 1926 in particular), the last miners strike 1980s...

WDYTYA are not interested in English working class history, so don't expect any middle class BBC tears and handwringing over the turnip pickers, the industrial spinners and weavers, the coal miners, or the hawkers and chimney sweeps. It will be off on the jollys again, to India, Ireland Jamaica, and so on. Rinse and repeat

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 May 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
WDYTYA are not interested in English working class history, so don't expect any middle class BBC tears and handwringing over the turnip pickers, the industrial spinners and weavers, the coal miners, or the hawkers and chimney sweeps. It will be off on the jollys again, to India, Ireland Jamaica, and so on. Rinse and repeat

Maybe because the General Public aren't interested in such stories?
Family Historians may well be interested; but (as I said) WDYTYA isn't aimed at FH's.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 May 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
I agree KGarrad.
I am sure that some celebrities will have working class roots and the list of places reflects the diversity of our past.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk