Author Topic: Brickwall: James Carr  (Read 4221 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall: James Carr
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 May 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Barnard Castle is a town, and was the place where he signed up (probably not in the castle itself!).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 May 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
. . Also, when it says 'attested for 6 years at Barnard Castle', does that mean he served in that castle for 6 years for the military in some way?  . . .

No! It means he signed to serve in the armed forces for 6yrs at the Recruiting Office in the area of Barnard Castle which was not neccessarily in the castle itself.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 May 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
My worry about that military record is that it makes him about 10 years younger than he should be. Also, the reason for the striking out of his wife and children’s details is not given.  Perhaps they were entered on the wrong man’s record, and this soldier James is not yours at all?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline SuperFuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 May 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
My worry about that military record is that it makes him about 10 years younger than he should be. Also, the reason for the striking out of his wife and children’s details is not given.  Perhaps they were entered on the wrong man’s record, and this soldier James is not yours at all?

Yes I remember some of the dates may have been out for the kids on the record as well? Maybe it is why I didn't save it to him on Ancestry, when I originally found the document

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 May 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
The dates for the children look OK:

Catherine Elizabeth 17.01.1904
James Bernard 05.05.1908

Offline SuperFuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 May 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
The dates for the children look OK:

Catherine Elizabeth 17.01.1904
James Bernard 05.05.1908

That's unfortunate if the military messed up with the record, as it would have been really helpful!

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 May 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have a record in their Soldiers died in the Great War record set for a Sergeant James Carr born Black Hill, Durham, residing at Wallsend. He was killed in action on 2nd Jan 1918. He was in the Labour Corps ( no 10813) but also seems to have served previously in the DLI ( service no 9021). His gratuity has been paid to a Sarah Kennedy ( register of soldiers effects on Ancestry). There is a newspaper announcement of his death which says he was from Wallsend ( late of Felling). No next of kin mentioned.
I too wondered if the crossing out of the next of kin records on the attestation was because they had been added to the wrong record.
Isobel
Added - his medal card gives his DLI number as 9440. There is a commonwealth war graves record for J Carr under this number.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline SuperFuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 12 May 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have a record in their Soldiers died in the Great War record set for a Sergeant James Carr born Black Hill, Durham, residing at Wallsend. He was killed in action on 2nd Jan 1918. He was in the Labour Corps ( no 10813) but also seems to have served previously in the DLI ( service no 9021). His gratuity has been paid to a Sarah Kennedy ( register of soldiers effects on Ancestry). There is a newspaper announcement of his death which says he was from Wallsend ( late of Felling). No next of kin mentioned.
I too wondered if the crossing out of the next of kin records on the attestation was because they had been added to the wrong record.
Isobel
Added - his medal card gives his DLI number as 9440. There is a commonwealth war graves record for J Carr under this number.

Thanks for this. Do you think this is definitely him? Wonder where the kids were.

Added: I found the medal record, there is some extra writing scrawled on the record like 'See M.M (illegible word)' and then 'not identical with 9440 Durh. L. I. (illegible) 18 A' Don't know if any of this means something?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 12 May 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
Just to throw a spanner in the works:

More than one of my ancestors used a fake father's name on a marriage certificate (sometimes their own first name) to conceal illegitimacy.

With this in mind, it could be worth trawling through the censuses for 1891 and 1881 to see how many James CARR children there are, and cross them off them one by one.  Also worth checking if the GRO register has a James CARR with mother's maiden name CARR as this could be a clue.

I will see what I can find on the GRO tonight, but would be delighted if another Rootschatter beat me to it!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk