Author Topic: Contracting those old long BMD certificates to store to file or print.  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Contracting those old long BMD certificates to store to file or print.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 May 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
When it comes to scanning (anything especially if a crucial document) set your scanner to 600dpi!
I have found that if sending a document via e mail that 300dpi is just not clear enough, 600dpi is clear to all recipients thus avoiding the need to send a document twice.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
Unless you're intending to enlarge it, I defy anyone to tell the difference between a 300 and a 600 dpi scan.

If you're having difficulty reading a 300 dpi scan that's been emailed, either it's been over-compressed when the original file was saved or the email process has changed it in some way. Bear in mind that the standard screen resolution for computer monitors has traditionally been 75 dpi (although flat screens have changed this somewhat) so a 300 or 600 dpi scan will simply be displayed at a larger than original size.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
I'd echo Ray's comments about the email software compressing the images. 

I know that when I select send to Mail Recipient within Windows Explorer it opens up a window "Attach Files" and shows a default picture size of "Medium 1024x768" which then says that say a 2.52mb image file would be compressed to 230kb.  I then change the drop down to original size and that its what is attached to the Outlook email for sending (what it attaches to obviously depends on what you have your default mail program set to in Windows obviously).  The original images themselves are mainly only 200dpi but are fine to read as they are not compressed.  If you leave it at the default size, then it will be most likely be too small to read.

I suspect if you use scan to email within the scanner software, there is a setting somewhere that sets the size automatically.  I would hope the software was sophisticated enough to allow the default size to be changed but obviously that depends on what you are using.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 May 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
(Un)fortunately I know nothing about Windows computers - I last used one of those when I gave up working for a living over 9 years ago - but I can't say I'm surprised.

One of the hardest things to get your head round in the digital photography world is "resolution" - I won't go into it here; it would confuse most people and bore the rest - but you need to set up your scan to suit the medium you're going to be viewing the end result on.

If you're looking for photographic accuracy, there is no need to go any higher than 300 dpi. Not many people would notice if you only used 250 dpi. For certificates, there's probably no need to go much higher than 100 or 150 dpi.

It's also down to the gradations in tone/colour you're tring to reproduce. A landscape photograph with deep shadows, bright highlights and lots (millions) of tones in between needs much more information than something produced on an office printer.

You're loosing a fair bit of information if you're compressing a 2.52 MB file into 230Kb. The other way to ruin an image is to take a compressed file (.jpg) and further compress it into a smaller .jpg. If you're not sure how big a .jpg file you'll need, scan it in a lossless format (e.g. .tiff) and produce  aselection of .jpgs from that; saving the original.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
If, when you are emailing the image, you attach the image, the recipient gets the same quality image you have,
If you "insert picture", so the image appears in with the text, the email software will almost certainly chop its size and quality down to what it reckons will fit.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Not Necessarily; it depends on the email program you're using. That may be true on some systems but in "Mail" (Mac), when dragging & dropping or attaching, you have the option to send the image as Small, Medium, Large or "Actual Size". The one-size-fits-all approach is asking for problems.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
If, when you are emailing the image, you attach the image, the recipient gets the same quality image you have,

As Ray says, it depends on the email program.  Microsoft Outlook, at least 2007 and earlier, does not, it defaults to a set size (Medium) and gives you the option to change it back to the default size of the file.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day