Author Topic: Fresh Thoughts needed - Duffy/Hawthorn 1880 Marriage  (Read 7944 times)

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Thoughts needed - Duffy/Hawthorn 1880 Marriage
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 20 May 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
I don't think they are both John, I think one if female, if they are both John I'd say the first probably died.
Looking at the 1860 page there are quite a few Joannem so I'd be inclined to think this is the name John and the record in question on the page Johanna is female.

Thanks Sinann.

I see the difference in name. Will bear in mind - but at least I now have a potential mothers (Johns mother) name and surname.

Appreciate your help :)
Loughglinn Ireland : Duffy (Paternal Line)
London: Baylis(s), Maynard, Dutton, Smith, Ward, Garner, Down
Brighton: Galliers, Hilton
Devon (Moretonhampstead): Dingle, Smale
Essex (North): Garrad, Hull, Bishop, Partridge, Pepper
Manchester: Duffy, Hawthorn(e), Holyoak(e)
Shropshire Wellington: Vaughan, Foreman
Suffolk: Partridge, Minter
Wales (Monmouthshire): Powell, Mayber(r)y

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 26 May 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Maybe Mary in 1871
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBJ9-48J

ADDED Maureen you beat me to the 1881 as well  ;D

Lets all sit down guys as info fitting together !! lol

On this census James Hawthorne (Marys Dad) is a .................dyer which was information I was working on :) Although there was a big Dye Factory in Offord Lane, Manchester around the time so probably the main employ.

Still good.

Can't see a birth reg for Mary but there is this baptism on the familysearch website which would fit with the above 1871 census:

Date: 2nd Aug 1857
Place: St Phillip Salford Lancaster
Name: Mary Hawthorn
Parents: James and Betsy Hawthorn
Abode: 9 Eliza Street Hulme
Father's occ: Dyer

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Amary~%20%2Bsurname%3Ahawthorn~%20%2Bbirth_place%3A%22lancashire%20england%22~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1857-1857~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Ajames~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Aelizabeth~

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 28 May 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
Maybe Mary in 1871
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VBJ9-48J

ADDED Maureen you beat me to the 1881 as well  ;D

Lets all sit down guys as info fitting together !! lol

On this census James Hawthorne (Marys Dad) is a .................dyer which was information I was working on :) Although there was a big Dye Factory in Offord Lane, Manchester around the time so probably the main employ.

Still good.

Can't see a birth reg for Mary but there is this baptism on the familysearch website which would fit with the above 1871 census:

Date: 2nd Aug 1857
Place: St Phillip Salford Lancaster
Name: Mary Hawthorn
Parents: James and Betsy Hawthorn
Abode: 9 Eliza Street Hulme
Father's occ: Dyer

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Amary~%20%2Bsurname%3Ahawthorn~%20%2Bbirth_place%3A%22lancashire%20england%22~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1857-1857~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Ajames~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Aelizabeth~

Thank you Candrjm.

This is brilliant and really appreciate you looking and finding.

I believe it fits well. As I mentioned in previous post with Wedding Cert - both John and Mary state 24yrs in 1882 (so 1857 fits). Marys mother is Elizabeth so Betsy fits and we know James worked in the Ordsall Lane, Manchester Dye Factory.

I will add the info.

Do find it strange that Mary's birth not located as yet nor her death. John Duffy (husband) married again 1898 ((Elizabeth) Maiden Name: Holyoak - American citizen) but my Father remembers my grandfather stating he preferred one of his mums to the other (ie Nicer I presume). My grandfather Joseph 1883 was the sixth and final child in John/Mary's marriage. So on the basis of that recollection it appears to me that Joseph knew BOTH mums.

Will keep searching but with your help and others on this fine site - I am progressing.

:)  :)
Loughglinn Ireland : Duffy (Paternal Line)
London: Baylis(s), Maynard, Dutton, Smith, Ward, Garner, Down
Brighton: Galliers, Hilton
Devon (Moretonhampstead): Dingle, Smale
Essex (North): Garrad, Hull, Bishop, Partridge, Pepper
Manchester: Duffy, Hawthorn(e), Holyoak(e)
Shropshire Wellington: Vaughan, Foreman
Suffolk: Partridge, Minter
Wales (Monmouthshire): Powell, Mayber(r)y