Author Topic: i would love to Ireland's language  (Read 627 times)

Offline Jack Boyd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
i would love to Ireland's language
« on: Saturday 12 May 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
i was never taught to speak my home country's language but could never get anyone to teach me i can listen and hear the beauty of Ireland in it but only ever learned few words and tell me i am not a true son of Ireland even those who were my friends were told not to teach me  even though i was born in the same country i was an outcast

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Senior
  • New to genealogy -a great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: i would love to Ireland's language
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 May 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Coffey, Cummins, Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon [Sligo/Kilkenny], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
FTDNA: T665306
GEDMatch: 1980344

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: i would love to Ireland's language
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 May 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
I think it is a very good idea to try to learn a language especially one that means a lot to you.
It would be a tragedy should these minority languages die out as has Cornish.
When a language has been proscribed as was Irish and Scots Gaelic and,Welsh,there is always a
loss of course of those for whom it was their first language and the purity suffers .
Do it for your own satisfaction ,  also because the more people who speak a language the more chance there is that it will survive.
I can tell that means a lot to you.
Let us know how you get on.
                        Best wishes with it .Viktoria.