Author Topic: i would love to Ireland's language  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: i would love to Ireland's language
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 October 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness you did not expect an answer in Ancient Greek.
My admiration for fluent speakers in any language other than their native tongue is boundless.
Viktoria.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
Re: i would love to Ireland's language
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 October 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
I did compulsory Latin for a year when I was 12, nearly 50 years ago and it has proved so beneficial. 30 years later I met my partner, and she did Latin and Greek at university and I envy her knowledge of Greek. I agree that if I was motivated enough there are opportunities to learn the language. A trip to Cyprus and Crete were my nearest attempts. It does give rise to one of my big moans about how people say that they're not good at something but never do anything about it. Maths is the usual one, but also spelling, and I do wonder how many people who have trouble with spelling managed to trace their family history. I do despair at finding over 30 different incorrect spellings of one of my search names, Loughborough. Oh, and apostrophes. It takes 10 minutes at most to explain to somebody about the correct use of apostrophes and yet we see horrendous mistakes every day. One day I expect to see an apostrophe after the s in apostrophe.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names: Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton and Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & H'pool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.