Author Topic: Pontypridd workhouse  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pontypridd workhouse
« on: Sunday 13 May 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
Anyone know when the workhouse ceased to exist as such and became a hospital. I know it became the Graig hospital for the chronically sick at some point and then eventually the new Dewi Sant hospital was built on the site.

I have a death certificate from 1949 where the death is shown at the Graig hospital; it gives a home address too (with his occupation), and the death was registered by one of his daughters. Family members say that he died at the workhouse but would this have been how locals still looked at the place? Surely with an address quoted, family members in the area and registered by family, this would suggest that he was in the hospital, or at least the infirmary part of the workhouse.

All the other workhouse death certificates i have (from a number of areas around the country), only say the workhouse, and the death is registered by someone from the workhouse. Is this usual?

Views welcome.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Pontypridd workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Pontypridd/

This site states the workhouse became Graig hospital under the NHS.  The NHS started in July 1948
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, i know the NHS was in existence at the time of his death and the cert does actually call it the Graig hospital, just trying to establish why the family would say he was in the workhouse (especially as you would kind of expect them to ‘hide’ the fact) 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
If they were anything like my grandmother she still considered a local hospital as the workhouse even though the NHS was established
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Just to say that Workhouses, and Boards of Guardians, legally ceased to exist on Monday 31st March 1930, they were then called Public Assistance Institutions.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 18 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan, that’s helpful. Guess though as Rosie says, people still regarded (even feared) them as the workhouses.

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
I  have a book by Keith Jones, that covers Pontypridd workhouse.
I was born there in 1946 it was known as Central homes then
Regards
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
I  have a book by Keith Jones, that covers Pontypridd workhouse.
I was born there in 1946 it was known as Central homes then.
Regards
Heddwch

Thanks Heddwch, maybe it didn’t become the Graig hospital til 1948 when the NHS took it over.

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 May 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
My father worked after WW2 at what was formerly Chelsea Workhouse but was renamed "Kingsmead". It was still run along the old lines and was slowly "tarted up" in the 1950s. The old refectory benches and tables were only replaced in the 1960s and the site was finally closed in the early 1970s when Dad took early retirement.

It may not have been called a workhouse in 1949 but that is what it was and certainly would have been how it was regarded for many a year after renaming.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f