Author Topic: Pontypridd workhouse  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pontypridd workhouse
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 05:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks diplodocus, that’s really interesting.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Quote from Keith Jones book
The poor law ended by the national Assistant act of 1948 Following the publication  the management committee  renames Central Homes  as the Graig Hospital to fit in with the surroundings  Premises where transferred to the Ministry of Health  taken over by the newly formed Pontypridd and Rhondda Hospital Management.
Hope this helps i guess the name changed but the stigma never ever did older folk retained the fear of going into this hospital

Best wishes   Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
Cheers Heddwch, that’s really helpful. I have quite a few ancestors who died in the workhouse so it doesn’t bother me (though very sad),  this just seemed a bit strange given the facts.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few ancestors who died in the workhouse so it doesn’t bother me (though very sad).

No, I don't suppose it bothers many of us now but we are blessed by the mists of passing time.  Until WW2 in order to obtain any form of monetary relief, the "dole" people would first ensure you had sold off most of your worldly possessions. Given how much more your neighbours knew about what was going on 'down the street', you couldn't hide the fact that you were failing to survive (whatever the reason). "The Workhouse" was viewed by most people as the end of the descent into abject poverty. Whilst some families fell through illness, death or disaster, for others it was as the result of the demon drink. Somehow, inmates usually ended being seen as "the undeserving poor" no matter how unfair that seems now.

Not only did my father work in Chelsea Workhouse, one of my aunts was the matron of another (in Pembrokeshire) and an uncle spent in life in care for the elderly after his first appointment as "Deputy Master of Worcester Workhouse" !!
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 13:02 BST (UK) »
Indeed, it must have been absolutely horrible, both the threat and reality. How many of us would have survived 🙁.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
When I moved to Ponty in 1999 it still occasionally got referred to as the old workhouse and some people didn't want to go there for that reason - I guess the threat of it, even when very small, ran deep

A lot of the pubs etc would still be known by names for decades earlier

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
 :(

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
The maternity hospital where I was born was formerly a workhouse. When Dad registered my birth the REGISTRAR entered place of birth as "Tredegar Workhouse". Mum went ballistic!!!! Dad had to go and get it changed in no short order! So yes, the stigma did linger......... and so did the name.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 May 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
The maternity hospital where I was born was formerly a workhouse. When Dad registered my birth the REGISTRAR entered place of birth as "Tredegar Workhouse". Mum went ballistic!!!! Dad had to go and get it changed in no short order! So yes, the stigma did linger......... and so did the name.

That’s awful, not surprised your mum went ballistic 🌺