Author Topic: Help please to find a Kent Baptism  (Read 3543 times)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please to find a Kent Baptism
« on: Sunday 13 May 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
Can anybody advise me whether parish baptism records for Kent are available on any website for the period 1904 to 1905?
The particular  baptism I would like to find is that of Gladys Winifred Audley whose birth was registered in Q1 1904 in the Dover Registration District. Her mother's maiden name is given in the GRO index as French. ( I do not have a copy of her birth certificate).  Her death was registered in Q4 1912 aged 8 at Watford.

I initially assumed that Gladys was the (pre-marriage) daughter of Joseph Audley and Emma Mary Ann French who married 26th December 1904 at St Agnes Church, Newington, Southwark.

BUT I then discovered Gladys aged 7 in the 1911 Census described as step daughter living at Toms Lane, Bedmond, Hartfordshire.
The head of the family is a Leonard W Sage aged 23; his wife is Emily E Sage aged 27 she indicates that she had been married for 3 years; There is a son Leslie L Sage aged 3 and Gladys W Audley aged 7 born Dover. She is originally described as daughter then amended to step daughter.

Leonard W Sage married Emily Elizabeth French in Q4 1907 at Watford. Hence Emily's maiden name is the same as the mother's maiden name on Gladys' birth registration.

Having just found Gladys in the 1911 census. I would like to find her baptism record in an attempt to identify her father. (I have not  as yet obtained a copy of her birth certificate.)

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please to find a Kent Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:13 BST (UK) »

Hi,

This looks like Gladys,

Baptism Date:  7 Feb 1904
Charlton-near-Dover, Kent
Gladys Winifred AUDLEY
Father:  William AUDLEY
Mother:  Emily Elizabeth AUDLEY

Unfortunately this is a transcription and I can't find an image to see more details, but it is a start  :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Daiseypetal,
Many thanks for your prompt reply to my message.

That is definately Gladys
It also adds a twist as I need to now find a marriage between William Audley and an Emily Elizabeth French. That is if they actually did get married

Thanks for your help
Regards
Brian

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 May 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
The fact that Emily Elizabeth was a French rather than an Audley on her 1907 marriage rather suggests that she had not been married before.

I see that Gladys died aged 8 (Watford, Dec qtr 1912).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 May 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
hi avm228 and Daisypetal

Avm228,
I understand where you are coming from however I have examples when a woman married for a second time  she recorded her name on the second marriage certificate as her birth surname rather than the name of her first husband.
Also I would have expected that if Gladys had been illigitimate her birth registration and her baptism record would have been recorded with her mothers surname (i.e French) and not that of her father.

Daiseypetal
Looking on the internet I have discovered that there were two churches in Charlton in Dover; namely St Peter and Paul; and St Bartholomews.  From the source of your information can you tell at which of these two churches the baptism took place?
Regards
Brian

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 May 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Daiseypetal
Looking on the internet I have discovered that there were two churches in Charlton in Dover; namely St Peter and Paul; and St Bartholomews.  From the source of your information can you tell at which of these two churches the baptism took place?
Regards
Brian

FreeReg doesn't have the information, but I did see it on familysearch https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N18Z-GY3 - unfortunately the church is not named and familysearch doesn't have the Charlton-in-Dover register images.

There is no Online Parish Clerk for the parish, so I think the only way to confirm it would be from the register copies held locally - https://www.kent.gov.uk/leisure-and-community/history-and-heritage/kent-archives/our-collections/parish-registers gives details.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 May 18 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Philipsearching,

Thanks for your reply.

I have managed to find some Kent Parish Registers on line at FindMyPast. However they are not indexed, one can browse through them.

The baptism does not appear in the baptism registers of St Peter and Paul in 1904 and
there appear to be no baptism records for St Bartholowmew.

Regards
Brian

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 May 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
   I had just reached that conclusion. It is rather odd that after the records for St Peter and Paul, there is a much longer list for Charlton taken from Familysearch. Is this St Barts?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 May 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
St Peters and St Paul’s is Chalton Church in Dover St Barts was a smaller church within the same parish but has a seperate parish register.
Regards panda
Who was baptised in St Peters and St Paul’s Chalton Dover
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk