Author Topic: Help please to find a Kent Baptism  (Read 3531 times)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help please to find a Kent Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the following is the same family but the only other Audley-French baptisms I can find are for Benjamin Edward in Orsett District, Essex, in 1907 and Elsie Florence in 1906. I can't find any further record of either. Also, no Audley-French marriage in the area.

There is a William (Bill) Audley on the 1901 and 1911 censuses in Orsett district, but he is not married. His family seems to be the only one in the area.

The only possible match is a Benjamin Edward French, born 1907, who married, lived and died in Essex, although his birth is a month different from the index. Also, there is no Benjamin French in the birth index for 1907, except for a Benjamin John who died in the same year.

David

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 18 19:08 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Sorry, there is no more info. on the transcription that was from "England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975" an Ancestry.

I found this at FindMyPast,

"Kent, Canterbury Archdeaconry Baptisms"
Charlton by Dover, Ss Peter & Paul

The images are a book called titled "Register of Baptisms in the Parish of Charlton in Dover in the county of Kent" and the top of each page says "Baptisms solemnized in the Parish of Charlton in Dover in the County of Kent"  I don't know if this just means St Peter and Paul, I can't find St Bartholomew's baptisms.

I can't see a baptism for Gladys in the above images but I've only looked at 1904 maybe she is mixed up somewhere else or these records don't include St Bartholomew's baptisms ?

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Please accept my  apologies for not responding sooner. I have been looking after my two year old Grandson today, great fun but this is the first  time today I have managed to switch on the PC.

Top-of-the-hill,
Sorry I  cannot answer your question I have been looking on Findmypast not FamilySearch, but please see my answer to Panda40

Panda 40
I appreciate that there are two churches in the same parish (Charlton in Dover) and that they both have separate parish registers.  Family search has that on 7th February 1904 a Gladys Winifred Audley was baptised in Chorlton in Dover, but does not say which of the two churches in the Parish. Looking on findmypast one can browse through the parish registers on both churches. These are described as the Archdeconry parish records. In the records for St Peter & Paul there is no baptism recorded as having taken place on the 7th February 1904 and the list of Parish Registers for St Bartholomews does not contain any baptisms, hence my confusion.

dcbnwh
I originally believed that Gladys Winifred Audley was the older sibling of Benjamin Edward Audley and Elsie Florence Audley but the 1911 census and the baptism record found by daisypetal proves that she is not. I am aware of the unmarried William (Bill) in the 1901 & 1911 censuses in Essex but I have no evidence to make him the father of Gladys Winifred Audley. He was aged 52 whereas Gladys mother was aged 27 in 1911.

Daisypetal
Thanks for the source of the information.  You have done on Findmypast exactly what I did and  came to the same conclusion as me the baptism does not appear to in the St Peter and Paul Register and there appears to be no baptisms at St Bartholomew.

Thanks to all for your replies
Regards
Brian

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 May 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
To All those who responded to this massage.

I have just had confirmation from the Canterbury Cathedral Archives that Gladys Winifred Audley was baptised on 7th February 1904 at St Bartholemew's Church at Charlton in Dover.

Thanks to all for your help
Regards
Brian

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
To All those who responded to this massage.

I have just had confirmation from the Canterbury Cathedral Archives that Gladys Winifred Audley was baptised on 7th February 1904 at St Bartholemew's Church at Charlton in Dover.

Thanks to all for your help
Regards
Brian

Yay for Brian!  Good work.  :)
Do the parents' names help place her on your tree?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
I presume that you now have this Hertfordshire marriage?

Marriages Dec 1907   

FRENCH    Emily Elizabeth        Watford    3a   1369    
SAGE    Leonard William        Watford    3a   1369    
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 May 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi carol8353,

Yes I have that marriage information. My main interest is in Gladys Winifred Audley's father William Audley.

Regards
GRO10a852

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 May 18 18:08 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I'm glad that you found her baptism  :)

Does it mention her father's occupation?  If not, I think getting her birth cert. might be the only way forward to find more info. about William AUDLEY.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 May 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisypetal,

Thanks for your message.

The Canterbury archives did not give me a full transcript of the baptism they just confirmed that it took place at St Bartholomews. To get a copy will cost me £10.50. As you say the other alternative is to buy her birth certificate.

I suspect that Gladys Winifred Audley was Illigitimate, but the bit that concerns me is that I understand that when illigitimate children were born their birth registration and baptism record is normally in the surname of the mother.  However in this case her birth was registered and she  was baptised with her fathers surname suggesting her parents were married. Before purchasing either her birth  or baptism record I want to do a double check to try and find a marriage record possibly with a miss transcribed surname as if it exists it should also give me the name of Williams father.

Regards
Brian

I