Author Topic: Parent Hunting Help  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parent Hunting Help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 May 18 23:52 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, what was Lily’s occupation on her marriage to George Hedges  ???
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
Electoral rolls show a Charles Herbert Brown with a Martha Brown living at 22 Giffin Street in 1930's.  In 1938 she's not shown.

Annette

I see that she is with him as Martha Addis at that address in 1923, then as Martha Brown in 1927, then there is a marriage of Charles Brown and Martha Addis, Dec qtr 1928 Greenwich.

Her last electoral roll with him at 22 Giffin St is the 1935 edition.  After that her name disappears and he moves to 24 Giffin St.

Possible deaths:

Martha Brown aged 53, Jun qtr 1934 Greenwich
Martha Brown aged 57, Jun qtr 1936 Greenwich
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
After 1938 Charles Herbert Brown moved next door to no. 24 Giffin Street - in 1946 Lily B. Brown appears with him.

So, I think you are going to have to purchase Lily's birth certificate to confirm exactly who her mother was and if Charles Herbert Brown was her father (perhaps he was some other relative that Lily lived with).

Looking at electoral rolls, births/marriages etc. this looks like the scenario (but only the birth certificate of Lily can confirm (or not):

I mentioned earlier that in 1923 a Martha Addis was living with Charles Herbert Brown at 22 Giffin St - I believe these 2 are Lily's parents, and that the mmn on Lily's birth should have read Errington!

A John Addis married a Martha Errington in Ruthin,Denbighshire in Sept.qtr.1915 and son Edward V. Addis was born Dec.qtr.1918 St Asaph, Merionethshire).   A Blanche Addis, mmn Errington, birth Sept.1922 Greenwich - she also lived at 24 Giffin St. with Charles before she married in 1941.

However, having now found a tree on Ancestry, John Addis who married Martha Errington was actually a John William Addis and he was killed in WW1 on 7/7/1916 - wife Martha signed for his effects on 1/10/1919.   That being said, there is no way that he was the father of Edward Victor (born 1918) and Blanche (born 1922).   Edward Victor Addis himself (married in 1939 Surrey) was killed in 1944 (WW2), shown as the son of John William and Martha Addis!!!!  The tree has no date of death for Martha which is no surprise since she'd left Wales and was in Deptford/Greenwich from at least 1922 until 1938.

So, with husband John Addis killed in 1916 have no idea who the father was of son Edward and daughter Blanche - with third child being Lily Beatrice Brown it seems pretty likely that Charles Herbert Brown and Mary Addis nee Errington were her parents as Martha lived with him as wife until 1938, Blanche lived with him as did Lily.   Martha said to be born 1888 Liverpool so no idea what happened to her - cannot see the death of a Martha Addis/Brown bc.1888 around 1938 when she disappears from electoral rolls so don't know if she died or whether she just took off again leaving 2 of her 3 children with Charles.   Possible marriage of Charles and Martha in 1928 Greenwich. 

Martha Errington certainly seems to have led a colourful life.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 May 18 06:51 BST (UK) »
Well done Annette   :)

Your excellent summary explains it all  but as you say, the certificate is needed to verify everything.

Heywood

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 08:45 BST (UK) »
That doesn't make any sense in 1939 does it - why aren't her parents shown, they must have been born well before 1918, so must be dead by now? That's a very strange page as practically every one is a closed record.

I thought the same! The only thing I could think of is if she wasn't living with her parents?
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Suggest you look for her father - whoever wrote the pages for this particular road seems to have made a right 'pigs ear' of it with lots of crossings out, omissions and then amendments at the end.   Look at original pages, not transcription.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 May 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
That’s what I thought too. Very strange.

FindMyPast has mother as Earrington but Barrington is easier (though I can’t find a Brown / Barrington marriage on a quick look either 🤔)

Possible? These two are on the same page, but no guarantee they marriaed each other

Marriages Dec 1903
Barrington    Alice May           
BROWN    George Arthur       
Paddington    1a   26

They did  ;D

At St John the Evangelist Kensal Rise on 25th Dec 1903.

Both 21 his father Arthur John Brown a carriers foreman.
Her father George Barrington a Hay (Binder?)

Witnesses John Hill and Fanny Rae Fox.

Could you tell me where you view the certificate Carol?? :)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:28 BST (UK) »

Could you tell me where you view the certificate Carol?? :)

With a subscription to Ancestry in the London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932.

i just click on BMD's and put her name into that.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 May 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your brilliant searching skills! I'm slowly making my way through everyone's reply and looking into them! :)