Author Topic: UK Nursing Registers, Margaret Isabella Bradbury.  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
UK Nursing Registers, Margaret Isabella Bradbury.
« on: Sunday 13 May 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, wondering if someone could take a look at a record for  Margaret Isabella Bradbury on the UK Nursing Registers, 1898-1968 for me please?

Thank you

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK Nursing Registers, Margaret Isabella Bradbury.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

What is it you want to know? I can see an entry but this person could still be living - registration 23-7-1948 London.

If you reply one more time the Personal Message system will activate.  Click on my name and send me a "PM" with a valid email address.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 06:39 BST (UK) »
Margaret Isabella Bradbury ( nee Nicholson ) address 2,Catherine Street Leigh Lancashire
Registration date 23 July 1948
RMPA certificate 1942

Is this her birth Margaret Isabella Nicholson 9/1/1904

Rosie

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Ok, thank you both. I'm looking for an Isabella Bradbury b1880 in Lancashire.
She had a son in 1916 in Devon and he was adopted. On his birth certificate it says she was a General Nurse.
That was the only Isabella who I could find on the Register, but maybe she wasn't Registered. I used to be a nurse, but not sure how it worked then.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Before 1919, when the General Nursing Council was established, records of nurses were kept by individual nurse training schools, most of which were attached to major hospitals, where the records can often still be found. In 1919 the Government introduced a Bill which was passed and became law as the Nurses Registration Act December 23rd 1919. The Act laid down certain standards and The General Nursing Council (GNC) was required by the Act  to 'form and keep a Register of Nurses for the sick. The register was opened on 30 September 1921 and was divided into the general part, reserved for female nurses, with supplementary parts for fever nurses, male nurses, mental nurses (with a special section for nurses for mental defectives) and sick children's nurses.
By 1925 the first state examinations had been held, and the first nurses were admitted to the register by examination.
See http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/civilian-nurses.htm

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
I appreciate this isn't what you're asking for, but....

If I look for an Isabella, I see one born Lancashire 1880/81 daughter of Joseph and Emma, with a lot of siblings - moving with them to Devon in later Censuses.... Joseph is an engineer.  Then some strange stuff in the newspapers in the 1930s.

Isabella Bradbury, spinster, of Warren House, Warren Road, Torquay - daughter of the late Joseph Bradbury.  Aged 50, "of independent means".
1931 - bankrupt.
1931 - arson/setting fire to Warren House - found "not guilty".

Looks like a match due to name, age, location...

Your Isabella/nurse could've simply been a WW1 occupation statement - lots of nurses in WW1, maybe the father was a soldier/sailor.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
I appreciate this isn't what you're asking for, but....

If I look for an Isabella, I see one born Lancashire 1880/81 daughter of Joseph and Emma, with a lot of siblings - moving with them to Devon in later Censuses.... Joseph is an engineer.  Then some strange stuff in the newspapers in the 1930s.

There is another post about Isabella and her life in Devon  ;D
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793409.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Susan Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks StanleysChesterton and stanmapstone. So no register as such before 1919. I did wonder if she was nursing during  WW1. Re the newspaper articles, who knew!?

Offline sueellio

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
Ok, thank you both. I'm looking for an Isabella Bradbury b1880 in Lancashire.
She had a son in 1916 in Devon and he was adopted. On his birth certificate it says she was a General Nurse.
That was the only Isabella who I could find on the Register, but maybe she wasn't Registered. I used to be a nurse, but not sure how it worked then.

I wanted to edit/explain this post, but because Rootschat discovered I already had an account after I'd logged in with my facebook account on 14th May, I'm now using a different account so can't edit the actual post.
I had completely forgotten that I'd registered and posted a few years ago.

Re the above, I should have said that an Isabella Bradbury had a son in Devon in  1916. His birth certificate states that she was General Nurse.
Thank you again.

Elliot(t), Stobbs,Thompson (Weardale) Johnson, Hunter, Hall (Kirk Merrington/Spennymoor)