Author Topic: If it was possible to visit one ancestor tomorrow - would it be an easy choice?  (Read 7757 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
I would find the choice impossible. All my mother's side were born, lived and died in British India. As some of you might know their records fall somewhere between scant and non-existent. From my grandfather back, each and every ancestor has a question mark hanging over them.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Regarding my Sarah, I found a George Coombs wedding in 1810 to Sarah Davy. I have the original PR which say they wed by licence. Not found the actual licence yet. She was a widow. This is the only possible marriage I have found. My Sarah was aged 60 (or thereabouts) when she died in Feb 1851. She would have been about 19 or 20 in 1810. She may have been a very young widow. Usually when I have seen marriage licences it says they were 21 or over.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: If it was possible to visit one ancestor tomorrow - would it be an easy choice?
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
In a slightly different light, wouldn't it be interesting to observe the courting process between two ancestors - as a 'fly on the wall'? I think this would be extremely interesting. Although obviously many would have been pressured into marriage by parents etc, it'd be nice to see a true love story.

No long after my Dad died, I asked my Mum how she had met my Dad, she said "well, he had a little boot repair shop and I really fancied him, so when I was coming home from Guides on a Thursday night, if the light was on in the shop, I would knock on the window and then run for my life back home.  Then one night, I didn't run"!  💞💞
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: If it was possible to visit one ancestor tomorrow - would it be an easy choice?
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
What a lovely story!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
My Mum came to work for my Dad as a housekeeper when his first wife left him with two young daughters. They married after a few years, and I came along a few more years later.
The one that makes me curious is my 3x great grandparents. I am fairly certain they met in Honiton, Devon, but married in Chichester, Sussex where she had moved with her brother. Talk about a long distance romance.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
If you want long distance, my 2xgt grandmother, living in Launceston, Cornwall, got pregnant twice, once when the man was in Folkestone, Kent, and the second one when he was in Leeds, Yorkshire  ::) I believe he was the father of the first one, jury is out on the second... and no, she didn't marry him  ::)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 11:34 BST (UK) »

It would be a choice of 2 that I would really like to chat to.  My gtgrandfather and ask him about his life in Russia and his journey to England with his father and only one brother. 

Then my grandmother a chat I wish I could have had with her knowing what I have found out during the course of my family research.  I am sure it's not a chat she would like to have, thinking she had taken all her secrets with her. ::) ;D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
An easy one for me - my great grandparents Sarah and Thomas (whose wedding portrait was so wonderfully treated in this very forum). However, there'd be a condition ... ... that all of the other ancestors I have questions for were also invited. There - not too unreasonable, I think  :D
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Such a hard choice, I have several who lead interesting lives, riots, bankruptcies, murders etc.
In terms of brick walls it would have to be my 3xG grandmother Eleanor (Ellen) Wilkinson. She had an illegitimate daughter in Ulverston workhouse 11th December 1854 & I would love to know the identity of the father. The only clue I have is a possible surname of Arkwright from one of my grandmother's sayings ("From the As came the Bs and from the Bs came the Cs", referring to Arkwright Butterfield & Clark surnames) He is the only gap I have in six generations from me :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.