Author Topic: Ancestry Public Trees  (Read 2472 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry Public Trees
« on: Monday 14 May 18 05:09 BST (UK) »
A few weeks ago after my subscription to Ancestry expired.  I decided to try searching for an Ancestor on the beta.familysearch.org website.

I was amazed to find a photo of my grandmother - I know this photo was posted sometime ago on a Public Tree on Ancestry, and was saved to other Ancestry Trees.
Searching further I found quite a few names that I am familiar with regarding my own family.  I know some people have submitted information to the family search website.
However some people have just taken the information from Ancestry Public Trees - and contributed to family search - without checking it is correct.

The gentleman who added my grandmother's photo - I have no idea who is  or if he is even connected to her family.

There is a group working on contributing records for South Australia.

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this website.  It puts me in mind of the old Mundia.com website.

Sarra

Edit: I don't have an Ancestry Public Tree.

Offline tancor1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Public Trees
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
I have not come across this site will take a look.
But i have had issue with Ancestry a lady put my grandfather into her tree married to completely the wrong person, no body in her tree had any connection to my grandfather,only thing she had found someone with the surname Walton and put it in her tree i contacted her 3 times tell her she had the wrong person and asking her to delete and search for the right person,she just ignored me so i contacted Ancestry to ask them to contact her to remove my grandfather the reply came back that whatever a person puts into their tree is not the concern of ancestry and their was nothing they could do. so i ended my subscription to ancestry i had been a member for about 5 years and removed  my tree.
This is how people make mistakes in their trees when they copy info from public trees that are not correct this lady had over 4,000 people in her tree i wonder just how many were correct.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
It is annoying - even heartbreaking - to see something as personal as a pic or document of a close family member.

But 'we' put it out there ! and even if we do not have an Ancestry tree - We put pics on Social media and even on here..

Once its out there it is NOT OUR property.

Last night I MYSELF was stealing photos ..... of my family and distant cousins from FB -- I am a photo thief.  I had to steal them, because the cousin I have asked for them over the last however many years, kept putting off sharing them.. didn't want them 'out there' !!! they are on Social media.. so.. there you go.

MY Tree is shared with this cousin, so wonder what they will think when they finally see the pics on it. ooops.. HOWEVER MY Tree is PRIVATE  -  but I am not sure how Private, private  --- is ! I am sure Ancestry 'bods' can get access.

so who knows.

DATA PROTECTION has only JUST come in.. so what I added to my tree 10 yrs ago, was grabbed and shared and that is that.

etc.   she is off again.. ooh dear

xin

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
LDS have collected date for years, they never have checked if it is correct or not and anyone who posts information online they are giving up their 'ownership', it belongs to the website and can be taken and used as their own 'belongings'....... so ancestry or familysearch, FB to any other website if you post it you are giving it away.

Online data is just ONE TOOL and only ever a clue about where to look for the real records, so unless that data is an image of a real record then it is just a clue only and nothing more.

I personally have an issue with online trees. I do not see why people have to advertise a 'their' tree especially as many are complete fiction ( which just muddy's the water for real researching)and/or the person collecting and advertising has no clue about privacy of living people, many have no basic maths and are name collectors...so they don't seem to work out that someone born/bap in 1695 is not going to be married and producing children by 1701, no research and no idea about the upset many of these online name collections can cause to the real  relations of the people they add.

I was looking last night at some name collector trees, they have some of my ancestors, born in Norfolk England and marrying, having children and dying in Norfolk USA and on down to them as their 'descendants' just plain and simple name collectors these just 'fits their purpose'
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Yep  --- so annoying
and that if you dare to suggest they have it wrong.. it is ignored.  It is just a 'game' to so many.

I had a 'cousin' ask me once why I spent so much time on my tree.

She had done it all within days. 
flabbergasted. 
So I asked her how - and she said its all on Ancestry..
She bragged how far she had managed to go back -- just copying.. other trees.
She was happy that she had got to some King/Duke or other.. that was it then she left it.

that reminds me I havent looked at it for a while.. must do that. Of course it isnt private.

Wonder why sometimes.  really do

xin

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
I used to be a photo thief from Ancestry public trees, but I have changed my ways.  I discovered if I download a photo from another tree Ancestry thinks I originated that photo; the original poster is not given credit and they often come back to me very upset.  Can't blame them.  Plus, Ancestry will shoot that photo around the world as if it was a new hint.

So now if I see a photo that I want I'll search Ancestry to find and download it.  Then the original poster will be given the proper credit.  And whenever I find a photo that has been incorrectly attributed to me I'll delete it and go find it from another source.
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 18 17:52 BST (UK) »

I was looking last night at some name collector trees, they have some of my ancestors, born in Norfolk England and marrying, having children and dying in Norfolk USA and on down to them as their 'descendants' just plain and simple name collectors these just 'fits their purpose'

I had something similar.   Recently I noticed somebody had linked one of my 19th century photos to their tree.  I was hopeful it could be a cousin but the person's tree showed a family living in the USA for over a hundred years, then for some reason one couple with several children, each born a year apart, had decided to nip across the Pond to Britain, have one more child, then hip back across the Pond to complete their large family.  The USA researcher had noticed a similarity with the birth town her ancestors lived in - however, she hadn't noticed that my ancestor was born in a STREET in the UK with the same name as her town.  ;D
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Yep  --- so annoying
and that if you dare to suggest they have it wrong.. it is ignored.  It is just a 'game' to so many.

I had a 'cousin' ask me once why I spent so much time on my tree.

She had done it all within days.
flabbergasted.
So I asked her how - and she said its all on Ancestry..
She bragged how far she had managed to go back -- just copying.. other trees.
She was happy that she had got to some King/Duke or other.. that was it then she left it.

that reminds me I havent looked at it for a while.. must do that. Of course it isnt private.

Wonder why sometimes.  really do

xin

Some years ago educational funding changed and Community Eduation lost leisure funding ( which encouraged life long learning)  to get any funding it had to be a qualification, so I wrote several lesson plans/evaluation on several leisure subjects for the ComEd dept got them OCR/OCN/ASDAN status, one was for FH. One lady arrived for a beginners FH class with 7 centuries of FH declaring she could run the class, she OWNED and DEFENDED her tree however she had never visited a records office, never looked at even her own records, knew nothing at all about census returns, Wills, Parish, tax, employment or any other records , no clue why they were needed and was completely lost on what to look at when we visited Kew... funny really as she never even looked at her own birth cert to see who her parents were...turned out her mother was married before and he was her dad but she had assumed the 2nd husband was dad, not only that but she had name hunted 2nd husband surname who was unrelated to her

I had something similar.   Recently I noticed somebody had linked one of my 19th century photos to their tree.  I was hopeful it could be a cousin but the person's tree showed a family living in the USA for over a hundred years, then for some reason one couple with several children, each born a year apart, had decided to nip across the Pond to Britain, have one more child, then hip back across the Pond to complete their large family.  The USA researcher had noticed a similarity with the birth town her ancestors lived in - however, she hadn't noticed that my ancestor was born in a STREET in the UK with the same name as her town.  ;D

The funny thing was they we also documented a century later having children in the USA, so the person also hadn't noticed the 100yrs difference ( or ignored it) 1675 bap in the UK and were married having children 1795.
I am just really pleased I began research pre internet and was taught  by my oldest friend who is a LDS, taken to the local LDS centre and lectured on don't beleive the IGI and prove via real records only.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 September 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
I got tears of laughter / frustration reading that..

xin