Author Topic: Ancestry Public Trees  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Public Trees
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 September 18 07:49 BST (UK) »
a search brought this one up as I have the same 1841 census attached, tickled me, I normally just ignore and move on

Born 1801 Eynsham, Oxfordshire
an Emigrant in Bondage sentenced to 14 years transportation to USA 1768.
8 children born 1826-1839 around Eynsham, Oxfordshire
Died 1857 Woodstock, Oxfordshire
another 5 children born Eynsham 1867-1880
Experience Intermediate researching nearly every day
1841 & 1851 census records attached, no baptisms. Despite the 13 children the 3 on the 1841 are not listed, just as well as the wife is different too Sarah vs Susannah and she only aged 2 years inbetween with no intermediate death or re-marriage.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 September 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
My latest favourite is from a distant DNA match with pages and pages of ancestors.  It has a mother born GB in 350AD  and her son dying KwaZulu-Natal  (no date).  Some others have every King, Lord and Scottish chieftain that there's ever been. 
And then,  in the Welsh lines,  there are the pages and pages of ap that Ancestry have indexed them as :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 September 18 08:39 BST (UK) »

I was looking last night at some name collector trees, they have some of my ancestors, born in Norfolk England and marrying, having children and dying in Norfolk USA and on down to them as their 'descendants' just plain and simple name collectors these just 'fits their purpose'

I had something similar.   Recently I noticed somebody had linked one of my 19th century photos to their tree.  I was hopeful it could be a cousin but the person's tree showed a family living in the USA for over a hundred years, then for some reason one couple with several children, each born a year apart, had decided to nip across the Pond to Britain, have one more child, then hip back across the Pond to complete their large family.  The USA researcher had noticed a similarity with the birth town her ancestors lived in - however, she hadn't noticed that my ancestor was born in a STREET in the UK with the same name as her town.  ;D

I have commented on this many times before! ;D

Ancestry is a USA company - it will therefore default to USA if you fail to add a country name to a placename in your tree!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 September 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
I have a place name 'Omaha"  NEW ZEALAND

no matter what I do, how many times I edit it etc, it always reverts to Omaha, Nebraska USA.
I've ended up writing a note...

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 September 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has that town in it's database as:
Omaha, Rodney, Auckland, New Zealand

It is a small town of approx. 200 families.
So, sometimes you have to be more specific ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 September 18 09:44 BST (UK) »

I was looking last night at some name collector trees, they have some of my ancestors, born in Norfolk England and marrying, having children and dying in Norfolk USA and on down to them as their 'descendants' just plain and simple name collectors these just 'fits their purpose'

I had something similar.   Recently I noticed somebody had linked one of my 19th century photos to their tree.  I was hopeful it could be a cousin but the person's tree showed a family living in the USA for over a hundred years, then for some reason one couple with several children, each born a year apart, had decided to nip across the Pond to Britain, have one more child, then hip back across the Pond to complete their large family.  The USA researcher had noticed a similarity with the birth town her ancestors lived in - however, she hadn't noticed that my ancestor was born in a STREET in the UK with the same name as her town.  ;D

Ancestry is a USA company - it will therefore default to USA if you fail to add a country name to a placename in your tree!

I have this issue.  My grandfather and many of his family were born in Kilsyth, Stirlingshire (now comes under NOrth Lanarkshire council) in Scotland.  I am confident that I have researched this accurately, especially as I have the ORIGINAL certificates.  However one day I went onto my own tree they were all from Kilsyth in USA.  My first thought was that I had made an input error so I spent time fixing it all.  Next time I logged in it had all reverted back to US, I thought I was seeing things so took a screen shot before and after fixing it.  A few weeks later it happened again.  So what I'm trying to say is perhaps the tree owner knows the person was from the UK but Ancestry has glitched.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 September 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
Yes Ancestry ALWAYS link to USA   sometimes even if I specifiy.. 

Just imagine in 2000000 yrs  people will not know that the UK ever existed EVER   just USA

oooooo its my  non moan day ... sorry forgot.. ooops

xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 September 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
I had some funnies originally so I give the full place location - i.e. Oswestry, Shropshire, England or Llangollen, Denbighshire, Wales or New Galloway, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland or Hamilton, Ontario, Canada etc.  or just Wales or Scotland and Ancestry obliges with no exotic places!

Mind, I only have a very basic tree on there. I keep my big ones on my  computer, with backups.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 September 18 17:39 BST (UK) »

I would have thought the American tree owner would check my tree for siblings/parents before adopting the image for her own family.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke