Author Topic: John Cromack, bap 1813, Tong, parents William and Sarah  (Read 1682 times)

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Cromack, bap 1813, Tong, parents William and Sarah
« on: Monday 14 May 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching a family tree for my daughter's friend and got a but stuck and wonder if anyone could give me some advice.

I have a John Cromack bap 21Nov1813 in Tong with parents William (clothier) and Sarah Cromack, plus 4 siblings.

The only William and Sarah I can find are William (clothier) and Sarah Johnson married 25Dec1787, Calverley

From the births of their children, listed for William and Sarah, there is a gap between their marriage and their births and I am wondering if I have the correct Sarah or if it is usual for such a large gap, and also Sarah would be in her thirties and forties when some of her babies were born. Plus (sorry about this) a gap between the first and second born.

William Cromack (clothier) Sarah Jonson M 25Dec1787 Calverley.
Children
Mary Cromack 1788
James Cromack 1796
Matthew Cromack 1806
William Cromack 1809
John Cromack, bap, 21Nov1813, Tong, parents William (clothier) and Sarah.

Thank you so much for reading this. I offered to do this tree because, like us here, I enjoying researching and it will be such fun when I give him his tree - I also have looked at the areas and addresses his ancestors lived and got pictures to show him.

Thank you very much, Katy

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Cromack, bap 1813, Tong, parents William and Sarah
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
I suggest having a look at the Calverley.info site at http://www.calverley.info/calv_enter.htm

This has a section covering Tong (link at foot of page), and a database of parish register entries etc from the whole area.

At the database, I put Cromack in the search box, and Births/Baptisms, then sorted the results by place. The first entry for Tong was a Hannah in 1792, daughter of William of Pudsey, who looks as though she could fit in one of your gaps. I don't know why someone from Pudsey would go to Tong for a baptism, but Pudsey folk would have had to marry in Calverley.

Anyway, that was the only entry I looked at in detail, but you might find it helpful to explore further yourself.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
There are a few more children at Tong st James  just baptised as children of William Cromack clothier.
Rebecca 24 Jan 1790 d of William clothier
Hannah  4 Feb 1792 d of William of Pudsey (the one Arthurk spotted)
William 30.9.1803 at St Leeds Peter s of William  near  St James's church

Ciderdrinker

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Living in Pudsey with a baptism in Tong is quite possible, walking that route (subject to seasonal weather) is less than one mile as the crow flies.
As was said earlier re marriages at Calverley, many walked/wagon ride from miles around to tie the knot.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
A lot depended on parish boundary lines, and the nearest church which may have been in another parish by road and footpath to the abode where descendants lived. Its not unusual to find an abode in a parish register that was located in the next parish.

In Huddersfield there are 3 different parish mother churches less than 3 miles apart,  Almondbury, Kirkheaton and Kirkburton being their parishes each was massive in area up to mid 19th century in different angled direction from each mother church.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
With a baptism, there wasn't any hard and fast rule about where it could take place. Usually it would be in the parish where the parents lived, but sometimes where one of their parents lived. If they lived near a parish boundary they might also use the neighbouring parish church if it happened to be nearer.

With marriages, however, it's different. You had a right to marry in the parish church of one of the parties (by banns or licence), and could only marry in a different parish if you obtained a licence and generally were able to show good cause why you wanted to marry there.

In this case Tong might have been the most convenient place for a baptism, but if one or both of the couple lived in Pudsey, you would normally expect to look there for a marriage. However, although Pudsey became a parish in 1733, when it was split off from Calverley, it appears that marriages weren't performed there until 1838. Before that, people continued to use the ancient parish church in Calverley.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kt4u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hello all you lovely people,
I was thinking that I would get an email notification of a reply, which I've not had so I had not looked in here and funny there is no notification in my msg box... strange... but true...  ???

Now I have said that I can say thank you so much for all of your replies and please know how welcome they are and how much I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

You are all absolute stars and have cracked the case, Ciderdrinker - wow! I had looked on ancestry and family search and only found the children that I listed. Also thank you all for the info on the parishes and surrounding areas - invaluable for someone who doesn't know the area.
Also this friend (of my daughter) has links to people who built houses in Pudsey: Cromack View, I'm excited and I'm sure he will be.

Thank you so very much, I shall be forever indebted, or look something up on ancestry for you or copy something for you at The National Archives, Kew.
Katy