Author Topic: Burials  (Read 862 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials
« on: Monday 14 May 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to locate some family burials.

Thomas LANE d 1835 @ Burton-on-Trent
   Ann LANE d 1839 @ Burton-on-Trent
   Ann TOPLISS d Nov 1903 @ Burton-on-Trent
   Richard BREEZE d 1869 @ Burton-on-Trent

Elizabeth LANE d 1908 @ Stoke-on-Trent
   Elizabeth JONES d 1924 @ Stoke-on-Trent

George WATSON d1911 @ Uttoxeter
   Sarah WATSON d 1924 @ Uttoxeter
   Francis TOPLISS d 1926 @ Uttoxeter

As always I would be grateful for any help.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burials
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
Do you have any of the death certificates?  For example - Ann Lane dies in December quarter 1839 in the Burton on Trent Registration District, which covers a large number of venues in both Staffordshire and Derbyshire.  If you look at the entry on FreeBMD, then you can see just how many there are.  :o

I can't see a death registration for Ann Topliss, other than one for Annie May Topliss in June quarter 1909, aged 0 in Burton District.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 May 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
OK, I obviously have to give more details. Your reply has already been helpful, however, in pointing out that Burton covers areas in both Staffordshire and Derbyshire.

Thomas LANE (1804-1866) - d 12 Nov 1866 at Stanley Street, Burton, buried I believe in Willington, which is sometimes described as Derbyshire and other times as Staffordshire.

Ann LANE (1804-1861) - née GASKIN, the wife of Thomas LANE, died 08 Jul 1861 at Duke Street, Burton and again buried I believe in Willington.

Thomas LANE (1835-1835) - the son of the above. Born and buried I believe in Willington.

Ann LANE (1838-1839 - daughter of the above, d 26 Nov 1839. Born and buried I believe in Willington.

Ann TOPLIS(S) (1840-1903) - daughter of the above, wife of Francis TOPLIS(S), d 06 Nov 1903 @ Wood End, Hanbury.

Richard BREEZE (1836-1863) - the first husband of Ann TOPLIS(S), née LANE, who d 29 Dec 1862 at Wolstanton.

Francis TOPLIS(S) (1836-1869) - second husband of Ann TOPLIS (née LANE), who died in Burton in 1869.

Elizabeth LANE (1834-1908) - the second wife of William LANE, née BARCROFT. Died in Stoke. I do not have a death certificate.

Elizabeth Francis JONES (1830-1924) - the daughter of Thomas and Ann LANE, wife of James JONES. She died 07 Dec 1924 in Hanley.

Sarah WATSON (1836-1924) - the daughter of Thomas and Ann LANE, wife of George WATSON. She died 27 Dec 1924 in Sudbury, Uttoxeter.

George WATSON (1833-1911) - the husband of Sarah WATSON (née LANE), who died 1911 in Uttoxeter.

Ann HAWLEY (1822-1900) - the daughter of George and Henry GETTLIFFE, who died in Church Street, Ashbourne on 02 Mar 1900.

John HAWLEY (1821-1864) - the husband of Ann HAWLEY (née GETTLIFFE), who died in 1864 in Derby.

Esther Amelia GETTLIFFE (1833-1899) - the wife and presumably distant cousin of Charles GETTLIFFE. who died in 1899 at Ashbourne.

I an quite happy to do much of the searching myself, if someone can point me in the right direction for the relevant burial records for Willington, Ashbourne, Burton, etc. Are they online? If so where?

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 May 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you  :)  Willington parish records do not appear to be on-line.  They would be held at the Derbyshire Record Office in Matlock.  FYI Willington might appear to be in Staffordshire because it was part of the Diocese of Lichfield, but it is situated in Derbyshire.

Staffordshire parish records are available on-line at FindMyPast, but again there may be some gaps.  This might be of some help to you:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/staffordshire-parish-records-coverage

20th century burials might be more likely to be in a cemetery rather than a churchyard.

Hope this is of help to you.  :)

Added:  this might also be of help to you

https://www.dfhs.org.uk/cemetery_search.php

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline patpat

• RootsChat Extra
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Ann Hawley died 2 march 1900 buried ( Headstone St Oswalds ) AShbourne Also in the grave is her son William who died jan 24 1940  age 79.
HEDEKER/BECKETT  Hampshire 
CHELL/ WAYWELL...Derbyshire  KELLOW /CHELL...Derbyshire
KELLOW/ NICHOLLS Cornwall

Timperley Staffs/Derbys
REDFERN /POYSER /BROADHEAD/MASSEY  Staffs and Cheshire
SPENCER/ Waywell Wirksworth Derbyshire GOUGH/BECKETT Hamphire 

Wilson, Pirie. Aberdeen. GOFF(e) Sussex
ALSO DOING  EDICKER EDEKER EARWACKER  EARWICKER  ...   AND any

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile