Author Topic: Samuel Cassells b 1878 Co. Armagh  (Read 4509 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Cassells b 1878 Co. Armagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 08 June 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
I don't see how the Elizabeth Laird Cassells born 1904 in Scotland (daughter of Samuel) can be the 22 year old Lily Castles married in 1919 to John McDowell. Your ELC would only have been 15 in 1919. As well as the age problem, the 1919 marriage certificate lists Lily's father as John not Samuel.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 08 June 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
I don't see how the Elizabeth Laird Cassells born 1904 in Scotland (daughter of Samuel) can be the 22 year old Lily Castles married in 1919 to John McDowell. Your ELC would only have been 15 in 1919. As well as the age problem, the 1919 marriage certificate lists Lily's father as John not Samuel.
No, hard to say what has happened there. The Elizabeth Laird Cassells I don't think is the same person? I have been in touch with the grand daughter of this Elizabeth and she says she was b 10 Feb 1904 Motherwell. I couldn't find a record of her birth on Scotland's People though.
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 08 June 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
If she was born in 1904 you should be able to find her in 1911 census- what age was she and what's listed for her place of birth?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 June 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
The Elizabeth Laird Cassells I don't think is the same person? I have been in touch with the grand daughter of this Elizabeth and she says she was b 10 Feb 1904 Motherwell. I couldn't find a record of her birth on Scotland's People though.

Her birth was registered in 1905 not 1904 and was posted in reply #1- which means that she would only have been 14 in 1919 (not age 22 Lily Castles).

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 June 18 01:11 BST (UK) »
A daughter Elizabeth Castles was born at 20 Bishop Street, Glasgow on 10 February 1903 to parents Samuel Castles, a colliery labourer and Elizabeth Dickson.  The birth registration was consistent in identifying the parent's marriage as having taken place on 3 September 1901 in Belfast. And also consistent with the 8 year old daughter Elizabeth shown for this couple in the 1911 Scotland census.

On a separate tack, my reply #7 showed the 1943 street directory entry for Samuel Cassells junior (68 Glenmachan Street), note the following possibility from that same directory for next door:
70. McDowell, J., painter

And the following subsequent entries:
1951: 70. McDowell, Elizabeth
1960: 70. McDowell, Mrs. Elizabeth

Which is in line with this burial record:
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=7057.16430

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 June 18 05:23 BST (UK) »
Great, thank you Gaffy and Aghadowey .

That would make her 16 when she married. I think it is pretty certain she married John McDowell. And the John and Elizabeth McDowell living next door to Elizabeth's brother are further conformation of that.
So unless there were two marriages around the same time for people of the same names, the 1919 marriage is the right one, with mistakes for her age and father's name?????

A daughter Elizabeth Castles was born at 20 Bishop Street, Glasgow on 10 February 1903 to parents Samuel Castles, a colliery labourer and Elizabeth Dickson.  The birth registration was consistent in identifying the parent's marriage as having taken place on 3 September 1901 in Belfast. And also consistent with the 8 year old daughter Elizabeth shown for this couple in the 1911 Scotland census.

On a separate tack, my reply #7 showed the 1943 street directory entry for Samuel Cassells junior (68 Glenmachan Street), note the following possibility from that same directory for next door:
70. McDowell, J., painter

And the following subsequent entries:
1951: 70. McDowell, Elizabeth
1960: 70. McDowell, Mrs. Elizabeth

Which is in line with this burial record:
https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=7057.16430
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot