Author Topic: Employment records for the staff of Theodore Roosevelt  (Read 414 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Employment records for the staff of Theodore Roosevelt
« on: Monday 14 May 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
Family tale has it that my English grandmother left England to work in America and was employed by Theodore Roosevelt starting off doing household duties and helping with the care of his children. She worked her way up becoming housekeeper and went in that capacity with the family to the Everglades during a holiday period. Whilst there my grandmother became ill suffering from what was said to be sleeping sickness. The illness was severe and long lasting preventing her from being able to work and it became evident that a long period of convalescence would be required. It as decided that it would be best to send her back to England and her ship's passage was paid for by Theodore Roosevelt and on leaving his service he presented her with a ladies pocket watch which was always her proud possession for the rest of her life.
This pocket watch passed on to my Aunt following my grandmother's death and in turn was then left to me and it will be passed on to my own children in the future.
As well as knowing these details from my Mom and her siblings having learned the facts from their mother i was lucky to make contact with a distant cousin some years ago whose Mom used to be my grandmother's best friend. Whilst in America my grandmother used to write to her best friend back home in England telling her all what was happening within her life and of course they enjoyed each others company once more upon her return and she was able to confirm the facts for me.
I was wondering whether there might be a museum or place of records housing the old records relating to Theodore Roosevelt and his staff in the hope of learning more.
If anyone can advise me where I might be able to apply to I would be most grateful please.
Thank you.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Employment records for the staff of Theodore Roosevelt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 May 18 22:52 BST (UK) »

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Employment records for the staff of Theodore Roosevelt
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks indeed ~ I shall certainly give it a try.