Author Topic: Parents of James McCormick  (Read 2688 times)

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of James McCormick
« on: Monday 14 May 18 22:05 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help. I have been trying without success to find the parents of James McCormick. His army records state his birth year as 1930 and birth town Lurgan and Birth Parish Seagoe.
After he left the Army he moved to Belfast with his wife and family. In fact the kind folk on this site were very helpful with filling in details.
So if anyone can point me in the direction of his parents or any siblings I would be very grateful.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of James McCormick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 00:44 BST (UK) »
Did you mean 1830?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
if it is 1830 records on find my past Service No. 3081

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

James McCormick census 1841 townland Knocknamuckly, Seagoe, Father John on family search

http://www.familysearch.org

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
James McCormick b May 8, 1827 to Adam and Nancy of Ballygargan.  No sign of Adam afterwards.
James b Sept 19, 1824 to Wm and Margaret of Ballymacrandal,  They have many girls afterwards in Ballyhannon.
 Jas b June 11, 1829 to Thomas and Jane of Knocknamuckley.  Jane may be the lady who died age 50 in 1836 which would make her a very old mom.  John b 1823 per marriage records is probably a brother and he married Margt England in 1849.  Said Thos was a weaver.
James b June 8, 1833 to James and Sarah of Bluestone with Wm born 1829 and Isabelle b 1832.

Thomas and Jane are definite and I need to recheck dates of others. 

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Jane may have also had Ann b 1819, married John Wright April 17, 1849.  Also Mary b abt 1828 m William McKnight in 1850. No parent is listed for Knocknamuckley Elizabeth who married John Nicholson.  Margaret England who married probable son John McCormick probably died 1865 at age 33.  These are all from Seagoe's church records.  I can find no reference to Thomas's death at Seagoe or Knocknamuckley.   I think John died between Nov,1880 and1881   They had Mary Jane bapt at Knocknamuckley 1859, but I see no one else.

A long shot for  more distant relatives are those in Ballygargan. George McCormac or McCormick probably with wife Sarah who had son Thomas b abt 1837 who married Mary Ann Gracey in 1858.  Thomas is in Knocknamuckley by 1862 and widow Mary Ann is still there in the 1901 census.  James and Mary of Ballygargan also have son Thomas b 1832.  So many Thomas names in a small area may indicate something, but I don't have records for pre-1821 McCormicks at Seagoe to say one way or another.

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 21:17 BST (UK) »

Yes Sinann

I did mean 1830 - my mistake

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 21:24 BST (UK) »

Thanks Rathmore

Was aware of the service records but will look at the 1941 census.

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 21:28 BST (UK) »

Hi Kat_C

I think the Thomas and Jane of Knocknamuckley may look promising bearing in mind his age on the Service Records. Thanks for your efforts. Will let you know how I get on.

Offline Kat_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
The National Archives of Ireland has John and Margaret listed as parents of James McCormick in the 1851 census.  I said James, son of John and Margaret (England) was born 1852 and the application reflects this as it was apparently denied.  The application says Thomas and Margaret England (his wife's parents) are living with John and Margaret who were married 1949.  John's son Thomas was one year old, but James did not appear in the census.  I thought Jane Cooke was Margaret's mother, but the 1857 church census says Margaret age 66 is the wife of Thomas England. 2 wives or my mistake?

These 1841, 1851 census records are notes from pension applications dated 1917.  The 'James in 1841' appears to me to be James, a nephew of your James, and the application  searched was the 1851 census. Was there really  a James in an 1841 census?