Author Topic: Unidentified badges and medal  (Read 1605 times)

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unidentified badges and medal
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
Silverhawk,

Are there any stamped markings on the underside of the two (eagle & winged wheel) pin badges?

e.g.   J. R. GAUNT LONDON

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
A German Imperial Eagle (Reichsadler) or Federal Eagle (Bundesadler) is always depicted with 2 heads.

So, unlikley to be German?

A similar badge here:
http://heritage-militaire.com/en/buckles-ornaments/983-badge-hunting-horn-with-eagle-first-empire.html
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
The Edward/Alexandra coronation medal is probably an unofficial medal given to a schoolchild, Boy Scout or similar.  Some of my relatives have coronation and jubilee medals for George V which they were given as children.  There were many different designs and different ribbons.

http://www.aberdeenquest.com/Artwork/KingEdwardVIIandQueenAlexandraCoronationMedal.aspx?timeline=1900_1930_People&artworkid=1276

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
Polish or a Imperial German eagle grasping a hunting horn?

I don't think it's Polish - the eagle usually wore a crown.

My thought was light infantry (chasseurs) from Germany or Eastern Europe, but I haven't found a match yet.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
A crying shame about the items in the shed getting damaged. How awful. It is probably too late now, and this is not something I have ever tried so I can't vouch for the technique, but apparently if you submerge photos in water you can carefully prise them apart if they have stuck together. Google might give you proper instructions.
They already felt pretty saturated with moisture and the top photo was just flaking away in my hands when I tried to peel it off. I've put the rest of them on top of my wardrobe hoping a few weeks of spring/summer heat might dry them out to a point I can salvage them. My bedroom is a suntrap during summer.

Yes, I would say the sweetheart brooch is from WW2.
Okie-doke. Guess I'm looking for someone else who was in the RAF back then. Will have to do some digging of what nana's siblings did.

Your maps may have been silk (rayon) maps - printed on fabric so they are quiet (as paper can be crinkly and noisy and heard by the enemy in war time), and also if they get wet they can be dried out unlike paper. Do you still have them?  :(

If it were me I think I still would have kept everything despite the mould, rust etc.
Yes, I still have the maps, they weren't too bad, mostly protected in layers of bags. Everything else was just too damaged to keep though. The books in particular looked as though they'd turn to confetti if anyone tried to touch them. :( One of the biscuit tins, I could make out the faint writing of "Coronation Casket" on the side but the images on top were too faded to work out who was being depicted.

Polish or a Imperial German eagle grasping a hunting horn?
Probably not a Polish Eagle, a Polish Eagle usually has a Crown on the head.
That's a shame. If you'd said Poland, I might have had a lead on the origin. I remember at one of my great-uncle's funerals it being mentioned that he served alongside a unit of Polish soldiers during the war. Never had a bad word to say about them.

"Half-wing" brevets were/are worn on the left breast above any medal ribbons. When viewed from the front, the "half-wing" extends to the right of the designator (in this case "wheel"). Further, lacking the crown, it is unlikely to be of British or Commonwealth origin.
Interesting. Looks like I've uncovered quite a varied collection then :)

Are there any stamped markings on the underside of the two (eagle & winged wheel) pin badges?

e.g.   J. R. GAUNT LONDON
Nothing on either of them. Funny you should mention J. R. Gaunt though. The Comrades of the Great War pin is stamped with that name. It also has the number 361662 etched on the back. Could that be a service number? I was a bit confused by that pin as I didn't know of any Gaunts in the family, but from your mention it sounds like it's a manufacturer's name?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would say the sweetheart brooch is from WW2.
Okie-doke. Guess I'm looking for someone else who was in the RAF back then. Will have to do some digging of what nana's siblings did.

Not necessarily - you would be looking for a lady who had a RAF boyfriend or husband.  Maybe your WAAF nana was given it.

Philip

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
Not necessarily - you would be looking for a lady who had a RAF boyfriend or husband.  Maybe your WAAF nana was given it.
I hadn't thought of that. My grandparents didn't marry until '45 and nana was in the WAAF from '41, so I guess she could have been going with someone she met in the service before him. Actually as the story goes, my grandda was supposed to marry nana's sister, but she died of TB in '44.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk