Author Topic: Convicts: Eyles and Grigery  (Read 1307 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convicts: Eyles and Grigery
« on: Tuesday 15 May 18 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I am trying to find out what happened to George Grigery who was an accomplice of Joseph Eyles who stole 40 lbs. of lead from William Fitzhugh of the Parish of Millbrook, Southampton, Hampshire.  Joseph was sent as a convict to Australia, but what happened to George?
Thank you

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convicts: Eyles and Grigery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 03:07 BST (UK) »
Was your Joseph transported to New South Wales arriving 14 December 1801.  If so then likely the following info will help in your quest about George,  as it gives date of Joseph’s trial:  Joseph Eyles aged 23, Tried at Hampshire 10 January 1797, sentenced to seven years beyond the seas.

JM

Duplicate thread : http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793480.0
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Majm,  I can still only find that George was with Joseph Eyles.  I am trying to find out more about his family, life, occupation etc.  My computer didn't seem to be registering that the request had gone through so I re=wrote and re submitted my request.  Hence duplicate postings.
 This is the Joseph that I am searching.  The link you provided  doesn't seem to open.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 03:40 BST (UK) »
May I suggest you consider contacting a Moderator and ask for the two threads to be merged.  I have no difficulty in opening either one. 

Also perhaps ask for the merged thread to move initially to Hampshire board ?

In meanwhile, Mr Google suggested GRIGERY may be alternative spelling for GREGORY and so I offer following for you to follow up:

https://www.hgs-familyhistory.com/2013/07/punishment-in-hampshire-quarter-session-courts/

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9175995 - with date of 23 June, 1797 ...ref as HO 47/21/25   and a brief summary displayed as:
Report of Cranley Thomas Kerby on 1 collective petition (53 people, including the prisoner's wife Sarah Hansford, the jury and others from Southampton in Hampshire) on behalf of Joseph Hansford, blacksmith, convicted at the 'last' sessions at Southampton, for receiving about 31lbs of lead, knowing it to have been stolen, property of Edward Horne. Evidences supplied by George Gregory, ……..

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.