Author Topic: 'The missing' Stephen Feening  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'The missing' Stephen Feening
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Selina Wilton (name Wilton) by birth. Her parents were Thomas Wilton & Elizabeth Payne.

Thank you so much for posting the links to the obituaries!! Very interesting indeed. Those dates and info definitely match up to the information I have on Stephen Feening's parents. I guess from here I try and find out if Stephen went to America soon after??

Selina

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Selina Wilton (name Wilton) by birth. Her parents were Thomas Wilton & Elizabeth Payne.

Thank you so much for posting the links to the obituaries!! Very interesting indeed. Those dates and info definitely match up to the information I have on Stephen Feening's parents. I guess from here I try and find out if Stephen went to America soon after??

Selina

Yes, I did see my error with the wrong Selina and have noted it.

I suggest you post a summary of what you know and put it on the USA board of Rootschat. If there are records of him, they may turn  up there.

I do suspect though he may have used an assumed name and this will make tracking hard.

ADDING, as a reflection.
I do find it surprising that his "respectable" family must have had full knowledge of the marriage, and knowledge of his whereabouts ( at least by 1919, and I suspect all along) ::)

After all, the papers were full of it. :-\
one wonders at the reasoning here.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Selina

I suggest you post a summary of what you know and put it on the USA board of Rootschat. If there are records of him, they may turn  up there.

I do suspect though he may have used an assumed name and this will make tracking hard.

Thanks again Sue!! I agree, he most likely changed his name as I'm sure through family he was made aware that a warrant was out for his arrest. I'll try my best on the American site. Half the mystery was whether he was alive or dead shortly after taking off and this may have solved that.

Selina

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Selina

Thanks again Sue!! I agree, he most likely changed his name as I'm sure through family he was made aware that a warrant was out for his arrest. I'll try my best on the American site. Half the mystery was whether he was alive or dead shortly after taking off and this may have solved that.

Selina

Yes. I also feel his family knew where he was all along. They're all long gone now so I feel it'll always be an unsolved mystery. Unless some great great grandson remembers him talking about it in his later years.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 08:42 BST (UK) »

"..A divorce was granted to Selina 30.08.1911"

Have you read this divorce file?.

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 11:26 BST (UK) »

"..A divorce was granted to Selina 30.08.1911"

Have you read this divorce file?.

Hi there,

Yes, thank you. I have seen a copy of this and have it saved. It's an interesting read, they clearly still didn't know what had become of him in 1911.

Selina

**On second thoughts. do you mind sharing what you have? I'll make sure it's the same as my own.**

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 May 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina,

A report of the divorce in 1911 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article238859604

However on NSW State archives, the divorce index seems to have
#7654 1911 Selina FEENING, petitioner,  George Herbert SMITH, respondent
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m46/

Was this thought to be Stephen's alias?

I am happy to photograph the divorce record if you can't find it (as well as John's probate  :) )

Ros

adding : Perhaps it is a mistake on the archives website index.  It seems George Herbert SMITH was divorced in 1911 from Catherine SMITH http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article221541534 and
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article221538789
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Weyman_85

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 May 18 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Selina,

A report of the divorce in 1911 http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article238859604

However on NSW State archives, the divorce index seems to have
#7654 1911 Selina FEENING, petitioner,  George Herbert SMITH, respondent
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m46/

Was this thought to be Stephen's alias?

I am happy to photograph the divorce record if you can't find it (as well as John's probate  :) )

Ros

adding : Perhaps it is a mistake on the archives website index.  It seems George Herbert SMITH was divorced in 1911 from Catherine SMITH http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article221541534 and
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article221538789

Hi Ros,

I agree, it may be an error on the archives website index...

If you don't mind taking a photo of the divorce info along with John's stuff that would be great :) Thank you!! :)

Selina

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 May 18 08:26 BST (UK) »
No problem in photographing them both Selina  :)

There were missing divorces on the index after the upgrade of the Archives site a few years ago but I thought they had fixed this.  But yes this index entry looks like a tangle of 2 different divorces.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland