Author Topic: Help With Pension Record Please  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Pension Record Please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
The research guide implies that this is the right form & should be covered, but I'm not certain either.  I hope so!

Let us know how you get on.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 May 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
Exciting news Jomot & Jamcat I now have 2 documents with Charles Henning signature on, one UK and one US, and they look pretty much the same, see this post for the images: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=791460.msg6501489#msg6501489
YORKSHIRE: Duffin, Henning, Hampshire, Allerston, McLaren, Levett
NORTHANTS: Garton, Eady

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/stevegartongenealogy

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
An update from NARA, they have found the file for Charles Henning, they have taken my payment, and it is "Awaiting Shipment", which according to the guide lines on the website means I should be in receipt of the files by email within 2 - 10 days. So excited anticipating putting some flesh on the bones of a 20 year old brick wall.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
Looking forward to your next update  :D
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
Should be interesting.

Ian

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Ok I have received the file today comprising 66 pages. Have had a quick look through and though it will take some time to assimilate all the information I am disappointed that there are no certificates other than the death record for Charles which I already had.
It mainly consists of affidavits from various people in support of his widows pension application. There is however plenty of interesting stuff:

I noted a few instances where it was sworn that Charles was never married before he married Anne?Anna.

There is no obvious mention of his brief stay in the UK, and he stated that he was from Norway.

Charles appeared to have been awarded a disability pension of $8 per month because of an umbilical hernia, though he also claimed for chronic rheumatism, bad eyesight, and general debility, all caused by his military service.

The "mystery" of Graf/Petersen has been resolved. Ann was born Anna Graff. She married Hans Peterson Nov 8th 1861. Hans passed away 4th August 1865 and she then married Charles on 15th October 1865......she didnt hang around as a grieving widow for long..... The marriage was conducted by the pastor of the Bethel Ship, Norwegian M E Church, 299 Carroll Street, Brooklyn, New York. They both gave their address as 884 Atlantic Avenue, and ages 32 and 28.

One immediate query under "married at" it says No.6 Rector Street. and that is also where Hans Petersen died, so assuming it was where he and Anna were living, I presume it was a boarding house as that it what Hans occupation was. So Charles & Anna were married at home???

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
The only Hans Peterson I can find in NY around that time is in the 1860 census aged 39, a bricklayer from Norway.  Wife (?) was Helina.

I can't see any address on that census but the Brooklyn City Directory for 1862 has a Hans Peterson, Mason, at 5 Vine.

So far I can't anything about 6 Rector Street.

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hans was from Sweden and arrived in the US in 1861

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Death notice for Hans Peterson

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030313/1865-08-05/ed-1/seq-3/

Independent Order of Odd Fellows?