Author Topic: William Crawford and Grizell Craig, Govan  (Read 765 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Crawford and Grizell Craig, Govan
« on: Tuesday 15 May 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to learn more about William Crawford and his wife, Grizel Craig. I know they had two children: Robert b. 1787, and Jean b. 1789, both in Govan. I can't find any other baptisms for the couple, and then they seem to disappear. I can find a death for neither William nor Grizel.

(I *think* Robert b. 1787 had a grandson named Donald Crawford b. about 1839, because this person is living with Jean Crawford and her husband, Robert Morrison, in 1841. Jean and Robert soon left for Upper Canada and died there. I did find a baptism for Donald to Duncan Crawford and Margaret Christie. Duncan was perhaps Robert's son?)

Many family trees give James Crawford and Elizabeth Gib as parents to William, but none are cited and those I've reached out to said they got the info from another family tree.

The name James doesn't make a lot of sense to me if William's eldest son was Robert, but then maybe he had other children I haven't found? I also have not found a marriage record for William and Grizel.

Any help learning anything additional about this couple, besides their names and two children, would be very appreciated!

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Crawford and Grizell Craig, Govan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Do you have William's occupation and home address in Govan? The name Grizel tended to be replaced by "Grace" in later records.

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: William Crawford and Grizell Craig, Govan
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Do you have William's occupation and home address in Govan? The name Grizel tended to be replaced by "Grace" in later records.

Hi there, I haven't found his occupation. Jean and Robert's baptism records just say "lawful [child] of William Crawford & Grizal Craig" with no address given.

My assumption is that the couple was probably poor, because Jean married an Ag Lab. Jean did have a daughter named "Grace" for her mum.