Author Topic: Thomas Davis & Elizabeth Marriage Wolverhampton ca 1860  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Davis & Elizabeth Marriage Wolverhampton ca 1860
« on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
I have been away from family history for a long time and have just come back to it and I have forgotten a lot of what I learned in my earlier foray.

I have a Thomas and Elizabeth Davis on the 1861 census for Wolverhampton. Thomas is 25 and born in Kerry, Montgomeryshire. Elizabeth is 20 and born in Wolverhampton.

Given Elizabeth's age I am assuming that the marriage took place in 1859 +/- 2 years. I have a basic Genealogist membership and I can find only two matches before 1861.

One is Thomas Davi(E)s matching Elizabeth Williams in 1860 Oct-Dec Vol 6b Page 0778. The second, more hopefully, has the surname spelt as the Census so it is Thomas Davis matching Elizabeth Pool in 1860 Jul-Sep Vol 6b Page 0637.

Looking for Elizabeth Williams aged about 10 in the 1851 census I get several aged 8, a couple aged 12 and two aged 10 both born in Wolverhampton but living in Wednesbury and Dudley in 1851.

Again I looked for Elizabeth Pool in the 1851 Census and there are two, both aged about right at 9 and 10 years old.

Thomas Davis on later censuses also shows himself as born in Newtown Montgomeryshire. I have looked for his name on the 1851 census for Montgomeryshire (born 1836 +/- 2 years) and 44 names come up (only one spelt Davis but he was born in Merionethshire).

So my question is to take this back another generation I need the maiden name for Elizabeth and the Thomas' father's name.

Is there a source for looking at the details on marriage certificates without actually buying a copy certificate from GRO when you are uncertain of exactly which marriage you are looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Davis & Elizabeth Marriage Wolverhampton ca 1860
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Do you have children in the later census? If so,use the GRO site https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.aspto find the mother's maiden name at the child's birth. I would not rely on the spelling DAVIS, use DAVIES as well.
Ray

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
St Matthew, Wolverhampton - 1 July 1860

Thomas Davis, father also Thomas
Elizabeth Pool, father is Benjamin

Transcript only - Family Search
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
Better transcription on FreeREG

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/581876b4e93790eb7fdeda2b?search_id=5afbf0ee33045bbf1aa5cb1d&ucf=false

The marriage entry image is available via FindMyPast.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast also have the image for Thomas Davies and Elizabeth Williams

28 August 1860 - Parish of Panteg

Thomas Davies - 40, bachelor, Carpenter, father John, Labourer
Elizabeth Williams - 30, spinster.  Father:  William, deceased

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. What a great lot you are.

Raybistre, I'm not sure that would work would it? As the children were all born in the 1860s and 1870s I read on the board somewhere that mother's maiden name only started in GRO records in 1911 or something like that?

Thanks Bumble B. I may now be happily on my way again as Elizabeth Pool with father Benjamin is in the 1851 census, and as luck would have it Elizabeth's grandfather on her mother's side is also living with them so I have a maiden name for her mother Caroline too. If that is my Thomas and Elizabeth of course.

I will now have to start looking for two generations of Thomas Davis in or around Newtown / Kerry. I am sure there will be a good few of them.

Bumble B I think that your last post relating to Thomas Davies and Elizabeth Williams is not the one I was looking for as mine was registered in Wolverhampton in 1860 not Panteg.

Thanks again for your help. My enthusiasm is growing again. Although I do realise I will soon have to leave my computer and get out looking for records on the page.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Mother's maiden name:  If you go to the GRO site, register (no money involved) with your e-mail address and a password.  You can search the births and deaths from 1837.  Births will give you the added information of mother's maiden name, and deaths will give you ages.  From the main page, select Order certificates on-line.  Then select Register/log in.  Then Search the GRO indexes.  Have fun  :) 

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Both,

Raybistre, I apologise for my error in the earlier comment. I though that I had read that mother's maiden name only started appearing on GRO records in about 1911 (I think). Obviously I was wrong as I have now searched for Emma Jane (Thomas and Elizabeth's daughter, my great grandmother) born in 1878 and the mother's maiden name does appear. It shows as Poole.

That does underline the reliability, or otherwise, of spellings. I now have Pool and Poole and Davies and Davis. I am fairly certain that it is Davis and Pool.

So, another journey begins although I think I may need some luck searching for two Thomas Davis in Montgomeryshire.

Thanks again.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 11:45 BST (UK) »

I though that I had read that mother's maiden name only started appearing on GRO records in about 1911 (I think).

Don't worry: you weren't actually wrong about this! The mother's maiden name was only recorded in the printed GRO births indices from 1912 (and it is these indices which sites such as FreeBMD use).  But when the indices were digitised a few years ago, mothers' maiden names were included on the GRO online indices right back to 1837.

If you're tracing a family in Wolverhampton, a fair number of parish register entries have been transcribed and are available to search here:   http://www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/indexes - they're in alphabetical order, which helps!

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate