Author Topic: Thomas Davis & Elizabeth Marriage Wolverhampton ca 1860  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Davis & Elizabeth Marriage Wolverhampton ca 1860
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cati,

That has cleared up the mystery for me. It is great to know that the maiden names now exist all the way back to 1837.

And thanks for the links to the indexes for the Wolverhampton archives. I think they will come in useful. Although, the relatives I was originally looking for above were married at St Matthews, Horseley Fields, whose records are held by Staffordshire Archives. Don't you just love Local Government reorganisations!

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 13:26 BST (UK) »

the relatives I was originally looking for above were married at St Matthews, Horseley Fields, whose records are held by Staffordshire Archives. Don't you just love Local Government reorganisations!

It could be worthwhile checking whether Wolverhampton Archives hold a copy of the registers on microfiche - if they do, then they'll be prepared to look it up and send you a print-out (afraid I don't know what they charge these days) - or I can look it up for you, although I won't be going there for a couple of weeks.

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
I think you will find in 1851 Thomas is in Staffs with his Parents Thomas/Mary.
Down as Thomas Davis born c 1831 Wales, Kerry, Ireland!
Thomas and his Brother William have occp as Iron Rollers which fits M/C where Thomas is a Forgeman.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 May 18 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish,

That is so helpful. I never would have found it myself, I kept looking in Wales. They are in Horseley Fields which is where Thomas and Elizabeth got married so I am sure it is them.

It is Kerry, Wales which is a small village just outside Newtown. Weirdly I used to live there at weekends with my then partner back in the 90s. Thomas puts himself in various censuses as coming from Montgomeryshire, Newtown and Kerry.

Thanks again, that has really helped my research.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:30 BST (UK) »
THOMAS Davies christened 12 February 1809, Worthen, Shropshire
Parents THOMAS/FRANCES Davies
Sibling;
JOHN christened 4 Aug 1811
(May be more children just checked 1800 -1812)
(Source Familysearch.Org)

MARRIAGE;
27 February 1808, Saint Chad, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Thomas DAVIES to Frances BLAKEMORE
(Familysearch.Org)

1841 Census
Albion Row, Albion Road
Wolverhampton, Staffs
Thomas Davies, 35, Labourer
Mary Davies, 40
John Davies, 12, Miner
THOMAS Davies, 10***
William Davies, 7
Esther Davies, 2
All NOT born in County except for Esther*

Possible GRO Birth Reg;
DAVIS, ESTHER , Mothers mn JONES**
GRO Reference: 1839  J Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON AND SEISDON  Volume 17  Page 348
Possible Death Reg;
DAVIS, ESTHER, age 4 ****
GRO Reference: 1843  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON AND SEISDON  Volume 17  Page 2

If I have this right;
Thomas DAVIES married Mary JONES 14 July 1828,Eyton Upon The Weald Moors, Shropshire
(F/S.Org)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
THOMAS Davies Baptised 27 February 1831, St Michael and All Angels, Kerry, Montgomeryshire
Parents THOMAS/MARY
(FreeREG)

1851 Census Mary Davis is born c 1805 Wales, Kerry, Ireland
1861 Mary Dav is born c 1797 Shropshire.
On both Thomas is born 1809 Worthen or just Shropshire.
1871 Thomas is widowed born c 1809 Worthing (as transcribed)

FreeREG has 5 Mary JONES Baptisms in Kerry 1796-1807;
Thes 2 may be the most likely
22 Jan 1797 to WILLIAM/ESTHER
16 Sep 1805 to RICHARD/ELIZABETH

Need to find Mary Davis Death Reg for her actual age.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 May 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
Several possibles for Mary Davis;
Dec 1861 age 64 (1797)
Sept 1863 age 61 (1802)
Dec 1863 age 61 (1802)
March 1865 age 60 (1805)

My gut tells me the 1797 Mary Jones is her given they name a Daug Esther and a Son William.

Marriage of William Jones is on FreeREG to Esther 1783 (will leave it to you to find her maiden name!)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Thank you, I have really enjoyed looking over your research.

I agree with your findings although it does show how census information can't be taken at face value. Over the various censuses Mary was born in 1801 (1841), 1805 (1851), and 1797 (1861).

As it look like the 1841 census is my family then, as you say, the 1797 birth date with parents Esther and William does look the most likely.

I will need to do more research but I struggle with the marriage in Eyton On The Weald Moors though. Worthen is just on the English side of the Welsh Border and Kerry is just on the Welsh side. Eyton is on the very eastern edge of Shropshire 25 miles away. Given the births of the children in Kerry I would have expected the marriage to be on the border somewhere too.

I suppose if it was easy we wouldn't be so enthralled by it.

I will carry on looking at your latest post tomorrow and seeing if I can take it back further. I had been thinking of taking out a trial with FindMyPast. I will have to do that to have a look at the actual register entries for the baptisms etc.

Thanks again for your hard work and the benefit of your experience.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)