Author Topic: Missing on 1939 register  (Read 6025 times)

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing on 1939 register
« on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:06 BST (UK) »
I have a number of people who I am assuming are very distant relatives that I can not find in the register. Is there somewhere else that they would show up? I can not justify birth and marriage certs and was hoping to make family connections with the register.

Ed
Pickering E Yorkshire, Ontario Can
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing on 1939 register
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Some FAQ answers from FindMyPast:

Individuals’ records remain closed for 100 years from their date of birth (100 year rule).  Records remain closed for people born less than 100 years ago until proof of death is verified.  As more records become open as a result of the 100 year rule, more records will become available to search and view online at Findmypast. Of the 41 million records, approximately 13 million (around 32%) will be closed at publication. The 1939 Register will be updated regularly.

This record set only contains records of the civilian population for England and Wales, not the whole of the United Kingdom. Neither records for the Isle of Man nor the Channel Islands are included.

The 1939 Register was designed to capture the whereabouts of the civilian population on a specific date. Members of the armed services were not included in the register.  The Register was not meant to record members of the armed forces and the records do not feature:

British Army barracks
    Royal Navy stations
    Royal Air Force stations
    Members of the armed forces billeted in homes, including their own homes

However, the records do include members of the armed services on leave and civilians on military bases.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed...if they are still living then their records will be blacked or be in the military. Have you tried looking for their parents.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
I have a number of people who I am assuming are very distant relatives that I can not find in the register. Is there somewhere else that they would show up? I can not justify birth and marriage certs and was hoping to make family connections with the register.

Ed

Can I just add to the previous answers that any living people will NOT show up in a search.  Therefore, as previously suggested trying to search for the generation above is usually worth a try.  For example, my mother is blacked out and will not appear in a search - her parents however do turn up in a search and can be found.

Also, if you know any addresses of the people you are looking for it is worth doing a address search and seeing who you find.

Good luck
CD

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
The husband/father born 1891. I found him in 1939 but he claims to be a widower however no death shows up for wife. She was born 1893. Children who I assume are theirs born 1917-1932 so there is a possibility that a couple of youngest may still be living. Wife and children I can not find.

Ed
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Living people SHOULD NOT show up but there are numerous reports of living people being visible.
FindMyPast will close erroneously open records if informed about them.

Many people moved in preparation for the war, mothers and children evacuated large cities even before the official start of relocation. Many went to relatives in the countryside or areas of less perceived danger, so it pays to widen the location search criteria. sometimes it pays to omit the location alltogether.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
Have you tried leaving out the DOB as some of mine were wrong on the 1939 register...also middle names are sometimes used.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline EdCan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
I will post what I have and let someone have ago at it.
Glady Ross born 1893 Bradford. Charles Edward Grant born 1891 Bradford. They married 1916 Bradford. Possible children surname Grant and mmn Ross all born Bradford - Douglas 1917, Margery 1918, Vera 1922, G-- 1925 and N--- 1932. I realize Douglas and Margery may have been in military. In 1939 Charles Edward was living in Baildon. He died 1971 Claro RD.
Possible marriages are Margery 1943 Bradford, V--1942 Bradford and N-- either 1947 Claro or 1953 Bradford.

Ed
Tindall Greater London
Edmonds Greater London
Bayliss Greater London
Chappell Somerset
Spencer Warwickshire
Tuck Wiltshire
Tanner Wiltshire

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
There are four redacted entries in the household of Charles Edward Grant. Some or all of these are likely to be the children you can’t find.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)