Author Topic: ukraine  (Read 991 times)

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
ukraine
« on: Thursday 17 May 18 03:04 BST (UK) »
I have a friend born in Ukraine but Russian parents, both deceased, she asked me to find out something of her past, can anyone give me a hint on where to start.
My own genealogy has been fairly easy through Scotlands People and other U.K sites apart from the Irish connection.
Any tips???

wini
Gunn, Cree, Reid,McNeice, Munro, McPhee
Jackson, Gillies,Gebbie. McCredie, nicolson, McAskill,
MacKinnon,Morrison,Campbell,

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ukraine
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 18 06:50 BST (UK) »
Does your friend have any information at all about her parents or grandparents? As a starting point I would ask her to contact any family in case they can help her with names, places, even approximate dates.

The process of tracing her family is the same as tracing yours. Does she have her own birth certificate? Her parent's marriage certificate? Records of her parent's births or baptisms? Russia is a big place - does she know in which towns any events occurred?

Did her parents die in the UK? If so, depending on when they died, would their death certificates provide any useful information? Were they naturalised?

Dates of events also may be significant considering conflicts in those countries over the years and possible loss of records. For you to help, unless you can speak and read the language/s, would be very difficult.

:-\

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 18 02:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,  will try and see what information I can get from her before I begin.
I know they left he Ukraine shortly after the Chernobyl disaster.

wini

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 18 03:24 BST (UK) »

A quick 'google' search doesn't look too easy or helpful unless your friend has a fat wallet  ;D

Out of a few, I chose these as an idea as there doesn't appear to be anything for such recent times;

http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/genealogia.php
http://www.archives.gov.ua/Eng/q-a.php
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ukraine_Online_Genealogy_Records

As Ruskie mentioned, if your friends parents died in Scotland & all info. regarding parents names were known to the informant the fathers full names & occupations as well as mothers maiden names should all be recorded as a starter for your friend?

In Scotland a birth registration gives date & place of marriage as well as parents names & mothers maiden name but I have no idea what details would be on a Ukrainian birth cert. or marriage cert?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that,  will try and see what information I can get from her before I begin.

wini

As the events are so recent, it might be better if you give your friend some general guidance on how to make a start on family history research and leave it up to them to look for any archives which may contain bmds etc. in their own language. I have no idea what details any records would contain.

I think the first step would be to purchase both d/cs or ask your friend if they or any family members already have copies of them.

Where was your friend born? Do they have older siblings? Were they born in the same place? Maybe the parents married there too? Look for any archives or church records to see where they are deposited and how to obtain copies of her parent's marriage certificate. Keep in mind that not everythhing may be online, so a snail mail letter and a long wait for a reply might be the way to go. It may be similar there as it is with some Irish church records, and a monetary bribe may open doors? No harm in offering I suppose.  ;)

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 May 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
they died in Australia so I will start the death records here.
They moved from the Ukraine to Mexico and then to Japan where a sister died but I think it best if I sit down with her and see how we get on.

thank you once again
wini

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 May 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry wini - I should have checked your profile before assuming you were referring to people who lived in the UK.

Australian d/cs give a lot of information, such as the names and occupations of the deceased, their place of birth, number of children they had etc etc so I would definitely advise purchasing those.

As a child of the deceased your friend would need to purchase the d/cs and prove that they are her mother/father. You would not be able to apply for a non related person's d/c this recent. I am not sure of the requirements - possibly your friend may need to supply her own birth certificate and maybe a statutory declaration signed by a JP. All a bit of a palaver but definitely worth the effort.

In which State in Australia did the parents die? Was it WA?

Offline wini

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 May 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Yes W.A

wini