Author Topic: Help Translating German Birth Certificate  (Read 3710 times)

Offline JPing

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Translating German Birth Certificate
« on: Thursday 17 May 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate help from anyone able to tell me some words in a 1916 birth certificate. The first is religion which I would expect to be either Lutheran or Catholic but does not appear to be that. Also the name following Rustringen- see first graphic.
The second is the word preceding the name Gevert which I believe is the word 'Fischer' meaning fisherman, but would like someone with more experience to confirm for me please.
Many thanks,
Jan Polkinghorne

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Help Translating German Birth Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The religion is evangelical.

The word before Gevert looks like Fischer to me, too.

Not sure about the town name - the scan is a bit small. Any chance of a bigger scan?

Best regards,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline JPing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your rapid reply. It was nice to have my idea re Fischer confirmed as this is the first time I have had to try and decipher a German document. Thanks too for evangelical.
 I have attached the whole certificate to the original post as it seems to be clearer than enlargements. The word I particularly need is the place name after Rustringen immediately below the first "Specketer'.
Thank you,
Jan Polkinghorne

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
The word following Rüstringen is probably a street name, then house no.3. (German convention is to put the town first, then the street, then the number.)

I've found a couple of old street maps, but haven't seen anything that seems to fit, though I admit I'm struggling to make out what is actually written there. However, there are others who come here who are much better at this than I am.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
My hubby was born in Wilhelmshaven. He might recognise the street name. It's worth a try. As soon as he gets home, I'll ask him to take a look.

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
I read the street name as:

Rüstringen, Deichstrich No 3

Dave

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
I couldn't make out the first letter, but that looks good to me.

Map here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m31/

Photos (old and new) on page 3 of this pdf:
http://www.wzonline.de/fileadmin/daten_wz/beilagen/20120723-gestern_und_heute_06.pdf
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 May 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
Without showing him Dave & Arthur's replies, I asked hubby if he could recognise the street name.

He said "something with -strich" straight away - there are apparently a number of streets in Wilhelmshaven ending in -strich.

It definitely looks like an "h" before -strich, and he thought it might be "Viehstrich", but had never seen a street with that name in his hometown. It certainly does look like a "V" at the beginning.

Then we looked at your replies. It does look more like *eich* than *ieh*, admittedly, but the first letter is throwing me. If it is Deichstrich, then the writer has used a completely different "D" from the one lower down in "Dezember".

Not relevant here but entertaining for us is that last time we went up to Wilhelmshaven (Crimbo/New Year), we stayed in a holiday apartment on Ölhafendamm - about 200 metres away from Deichstrich 3!

It's a small world...

Karen

P.S. Specketer is a pretty uncommon name - there are only about 40 in the whole of Germany on dastelefonbuch.de, most of them in N. Germany, particularly around Bremen/Bremerhaven. There are still at least 2 in Wilhelmshaven, though.
(I realise a lot of people are not in the 'phone book these days, but the number of entries per name is still a good indicator.)

Offline JPing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 May 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for your help. This is the first time I have used Rootschat and I am most impressed with the speed and quality of replies that came in. I loved the old/ new photos of the street and info about existing Specketers. I am searching for my brother-in- law who emigrated to Australia in 1950 with his parents, who are now both deceased and he knows little of his German heritage.
Thanks again. Happy hunting everyone.
Jan