Author Topic: Rope Makers in London  (Read 1522 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Rope Makers in London
« on: Thursday 17 May 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
An interesting article by the gentle author:

http://spitalfieldslife.com/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rope Makers in London
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 May 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting this.  My gg-grandfather, William Richard Yew (Hugh) Paul, who lived in nearby Eastfield Street, worked as a Rope-maker from 1851, perhaps earlier, until his death in 1885. Interesting to see what his old occupation entailed and to think that this is where he may have worked.
The on-line Spitalfields Life and its archive, the work of the "Gentle Author", are always of great interest to those whose ancestors lived in the East End of London.

Kevin now in Chester
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
I love Spitalfields LIfe!

I haven't read it for a while though so thanks for reminding me about it.  :) Fabulous photos alongside the ropemaking article.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
Jan, the Spitalfields article was really interesting. Those workshop photographs were wonderful. I used to work in that part of London comma as did some of my ancestors three or four Generations earlier. No ropemakers but I do have a comb maker ancestor of whom I am rightly proud. I often wonder exactly, in detail, how different streets became popular for different trades. Was it family connections, or using each others tools perhaps?

Martin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 18 14:36 BST (UK) »
I made the mistake of scrolling to the bottom of the page ... oh dear. No 2 Wilkes Street is for sale, and I feel the need to make an offer.

I just love the Spitalfields Georgian houses and this one seems to have lots of it's original features and loads of character. :D