Author Topic: Parish Registers: Quigley Powerscourt/Enniskerry  (Read 2645 times)

Offline macgormain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers: Quigley Powerscourt/Enniskerry
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Dathai,

There is some amazing detective - and very solid genealogical research - contained in these posts. Many thanks for taking the time to do this - really very much appreciated.

The unfolding of the Quigley story - from one name on a great uncle's marriage certificate - to what we have now is a little astonishing. I have been tracking and following the Cullum family back to Isleworth in Middlesex (via Richmond and Kerry) and the Knox family back to County Fermanagh (via Cork & Howth). I suppose like most family stories - it is a complex web of connections - and one that appears to take us all over Ireland.

I am trying to update the family records - and may need a little time to absorb all of this information. One question - do you think the father of John Quigley - who married Catherine Lowham in Richmond Asylum in 1873 - is the son of James Quigley (Grocer) from Enniskerry? If so - we have the connection between all of these Quigleys (both North & South...).

Will post again when i have updated...

Kind regards, Michael
Gorman (Laois); Maloney/Mullaney (Sligo); Creavan/Craven (Galway); Mallaghan; Carroll; McCaughan; Quigley (Wicklow); Cannon (Dublin); Benson (Monkstown)

Offline macgormain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Registers: Quigley Powerscourt/Enniskerry
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Dathai,

Again, many thanks with your invaluable research concerning the Quigleys in Wicklow/Belfast.

I have been trying to nail the other end of the equation - the family that Eleanor Quigley married into when she moved from Enniskerry to Belfast.

I have a big block concerning her husband Robert Chambers. I can see - from the marriage certificate in 1886 that he was born in County Down - and that his father was Joseph Chambers, a Land Steward.

Robert, a carpenter at the time of his marriage, later became an important builder in Belfast as well as a supporter of the unionist cause. He died in March 1934 and had obituaries printed in both the Belfast Newsletter and Northern Whig. However nothing was mentioned of his father. He signed the Ulster Covenant in 1912 - together with his sons Robert Tweedie, Eric Hicks, John Hilliard and Ernest Joseph Chambers. I also understand that all the male members of the family were freemasons.

One other oddity - he appears as one of the beneficiaries of the will, 14 Dec 1886,  of Eliza Brand (b1826) together with William Brand - the husband. William was also a Land Steward form Ballaknock, County Down. Eliza came from Drumnabreeze, County Down.

If you have any time to work your magic and find a way past the Chambers "wall" - I would be very grateful.

BTW - I am going Enniskerry this August to visit the various places the Quigley's lived.

Kind regards,

Michael
Gorman (Laois); Maloney/Mullaney (Sligo); Creavan/Craven (Galway); Mallaghan; Carroll; McCaughan; Quigley (Wicklow); Cannon (Dublin); Benson (Monkstown)