Author Topic: Merchant Navy  (Read 1209 times)

Offline GemmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy
« on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find WW2 military info on my great uncle Thomas Pickering Kennedy (B: 1918), his son has informed me that while serving he was torpedoed and was one of only a few survivors.

He first thought the ship was the HMS Hood but he is not one of the three named survivors, so I'm trying to find a way to discover which ship he may have served on.

Any help would be great once again!
Lister | Panting | Littlewood | Sparke | Kennedy | Cowen | Heal | Stapleton | Sharp

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
HMS Hood was a Royal Navy ship, not merchant navy.

From the National  Archives:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seaman-serving-after-1917/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
From Newcastle Journal 31st January 1941
Rescued from Tyne Dock
"Falling into tyne dock while returning to his ship during the blackout early yesterday, Thomas Pickering Kennedy(24), 3rd Engineer, of Bede Crescent, Wallsend was rescued by the skipper and deckhand of a T.I.C tugboat".
They pulled him ashore and "Kennedy was little the worse for his experience and returned  to his ship."
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline GemmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
From Newcastle Journal 31st January 1941
Rescued from Tyne Dock
"Falling into tyne dock while returning to his ship during the blackout early yesterday, Thomas Pickering Kennedy(24), 3rd Engineer, of Bede Crescent, Wallsend was rescued by the skipper and deckhand of a T.I.C tugboat".
They pulled him ashore and "Kennedy was little the worse for his experience and returned  to his ship."
Cathy

Oh my gosh thank you so much for this!
I wish it said which boat he was returned to!!
Lister | Panting | Littlewood | Sparke | Kennedy | Cowen | Heal | Stapleton | Sharp

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Great find Cathy!  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
His uniform is that of the Merchant Navy, rank Third Engineer.  Nanny jan's link is the way to go but watch the dates of the records.

Article already cited!

MaxD 
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline GemmaL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 May 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
HMS Hood was a Royal Navy ship, not merchant navy.

From the National  Archives:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seaman-serving-after-1917/

Thanks for this, I've found one of the "pouch" records relating to him so all the info should be there! Just have to wait and see now. Thanks again!!

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 May 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, I've found one of the "pouch" records relating to him so all the info should be there! Just have to wait and see now. Thanks again!!

No you won't find all his records relating to him in the pouch in BT 372 at Kew. It will give some information but you would also need to obtain his CRS 10 which is his service record from Jan, 1941. This will include all ship records including dates and places of engagement and discharge.

I can tell you that in 1945 he served as third engineer aboard EMPIRE MARVEL and had been as sea for about 7 years. I will look for the CRS 10 link for him later when I have some time.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 May 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,

No you won't find all his records relating to him in the pouch in BT 372 at Kew. It will give some information but you would also need to obtain his CRS 10 which is his service record from Jan, 1941. This will include all ship records including dates and places of engagement and discharge.

I can tell you that in 1945 he served as third engineer aboard EMPIRE MARVEL and had been as sea for about 7 years. I will look for the CRS 10 link for him later when I have some time.

Your man's CRS 10 should be within the record set here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10989163

hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)