Author Topic: Mary Green born abt 1848 Chorlton on Medlock  (Read 2788 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Green born abt 1848 Chorlton on Medlock
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 May 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
It's also on the Gro site. Seo 1863 Chorlton 8c 635 mmn Mahon.

There is another Ellen Green born Mar 1864 Chorlton 8c 592 mmn Tyning but I can't find her in 1871 either.

Emeltom

It could be her and only the certificate would tell us.
Mary Ann Tyning married George Green in 1863. There is a death for Mary Ann Green, 23 yrs, in the same quarter as baby Ellen. Poor George was a widower.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 May 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Don't know if I'm on to something here. Just found a 1851 census transcript on familysearch for Mary Mahon born 1816. Underneath the name it says in brackets 'McMahon' address it gives as Forge st. Can anyone access the document to see if it says McMahon please? Given the naming pattern, Mary was John and Catherine's first daughter. Fingers crossed. Thank you

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 May 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Not your Mary Mahon as she is the wife of a Bernard Mahon(McMahon). Not sure where the McMahon comes from as the image clearly shows the name as Mahon - no Mc anywhere.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 May 18 20:38 BST (UK) »
Emeltom Oh no! But thanks for taking the time.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 June 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Emeltom and heywood. I have found a baptism for Mary Green 1846 at St Wilfrids that may explain the death in 1847 and the second daughter being called Mary born 1848. Can anyone access the record for me to establish whether or not it is my family. If there's an address, it would be a bonus. Many thanks for all your help with this.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 June 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting member, Deer243 by pm.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=728005.0

Just noticed that you have posted there.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline If the shoe fits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 June 22 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, really hoping I have stumbled on my family.....

Catherine Mahon was mentioned as living with Michael Kelly and his family on one of the comments in this thread.  I will look deeper because I am the great, great, great grandaughter of Michael Kelly who married Catherine Mahon, then they had a son John in 1835.  But I will have to look at the census docs that you have posted. 

Its realy weird that we know John Kelly and his father being MIchael Kelly but not much else.  John Kelly married Anna Fox in 1857, they moved to Australia in 1861.  I believe Michael Kelly was already in Australia as a convict.  But the locations always seem to be in question.  Apparentely John was baptised in Westmeath, but Michael was born in Athlone, lived in Longford, with mention of Ardagh Moydow, Moyvore, Roscommon, Mullingar and randomly Dublin.  They were all RC accoding to the records I have found (baptisms, army docs). 

Wondering if we are all in the same mixed up family tree.  I have Greens in mine too.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 June 22 18:17 BST (UK) »
How interesting! Since my initial post I have found that my Catherine Mahon married John Green in Manchester 1844. Later in the 1881 England Census in Burnley, being a widower, he lists his birthplace as Longford. Catherine died in Bacup in 1874 age 44. This leads me to believe that the 1841 census in Manchester, my Catherine was the one aged 10.

Offline If the shoe fits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 June 22 04:58 BST (UK) »
I honestly hope I don't offend, I know we are ALL searching for our family BUT I MAY have stumbled on something.  I found the names like Kelly, Mahon, Green on paperwork for Strokestown - Roscommon area. It was awful. One landowner sent his whole estates workers to canada because it was cheaper than paying them, he couldnt afford it. 

I KNOW my ggg Grandfather was Michael Kelly, born in Athlone c1806.  Married Catherine Mahon, had my gg grandfather John in 1836.  BUT... Michael disappears around 1840.  John has  a sister born c1838. 

I thinkn i have found Michael on paperwork in Strokestown (I KNEW he was born in Athlone, which depending on where you look is Roscommon or Westmeath).  I thought Michael was a convict and shipped off to Australia, still a possiblity.

BUT Strokestown was full of Irish farmers and labourers just trying to earn enough to feed their family and we all know about the famine.   One homeowner shipped his whole labour force to Canada?? because it was cheaper than paying them to stay. Lots of Irish were leaving by the late 1830s because there was not enough food.

So back to my Michael Kelly - he is IN Strokestown/Athlone/Roscommon and in Westmeath his son John is baptised in 1836.  Next baby 1828 and then Michael disappears around 1840 - maybe in Manchester? maybe a convict?

I know there were a lot of Irish who moved to England just so they could survive, even though they lived in slums in England, apparently it was better than living in Ireland, it would have been horrendous. 

But that also means that families that knew each other in Ireland, would probably stick together in England, share a house etc,They lived in overcrowded houses in slums, but they would have looked after each other because they are family or friends from the same area of Ireland. I know they did what they did to survive, I know that means I have family who are convicts and transported, but the names from Strokestown like Kelly, Green, Mahon etc are the same names on some of the census documents in Manchester, maybe the Manchester families are not just husband and wife, but cousins and in laws etc so they could stick together?  Maybe thats why I am getting confused.

Who knows?