Author Topic: Becoming too invested in one ancestor?  (Read 3488 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming too invested in one ancestor?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
Oxford Journal, Sat 30 January 1847
Died.—
On Wednesday last, aged 79, Thomas Smith, brazier, Marsh Gibbon

If that is your James who is buried at St Peter le Bailey, Oxford, in March 1849, then there's a ten year difference in his age compared with the likely death reg in the new index? Seems to be an announcement for him in a couple of papers on 3 March.

I do sympathize as I too have a Smith family who have driven me potty down the years.
John

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 May 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Oxford Journal, Sat 30 January 1847
Died.—
On Wednesday last, aged 79, Thomas Smith, brazier, Marsh Gibbon

If that is your James who is buried at St Peter le Bailey, Oxford, in March 1849, then there's a ten year difference in his age compared with the likely death reg in the new index? Seems to be an announcement for him in a couple of papers on 3 March.

I do sympathize as I too have a Smith family who have driven me potty down the years.
John

Thanks. The 1849 death on his burial was a mistake on their part I think. I have the death cert which says he was 59 but the burial says 49. He was 45-49 in the 1841 census - 8 years earlier. The vicar must have made a mistake when he heard James' age at burial. (Should have been given some cotton buds lolol). Info only as accurate as what is being told. James death cert says he died of phthisis, 3 years. Tin plate worker. Wife Sarah Smith registered the death. She died in 1858 and was born in Oxford in 1796.

Thanks also for the obituary of the Thomas Smith in 1847.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
... And I have a couple who, possibly to evade justice or spouses, ADOPTED the names .... John and Mary Smith.... and lived under those names for 30 or so years until he died, and was then buried under his correct surname! They really do do it to annoy, and haven't the excuse yours all have of being "real" Smiths.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
I am sure if his name was Bracegirdle or Marmaduke he'd be much easier. I have not found any James Smith baptised to a Joseph and Eliz Smith c1788-c1795 yet but the Marsh Gibbon link is something to go on as said. Keep plugging away and I will probably hit the jackpot. He could still be a relative of Andrew Carney though. Andrew was a metal turner and James a tin plate worker so they may have been friends who worked in the same/similar trade in Oxford.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
I tend to go through phases.  I'll plug away at one person or line for a while then I'll get exasperated and move onto another.

Shona
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
- Isn't that what we all do? Bash away until we're sure we've squeezed one line dry, then hang them on a hook, and potter off to annoy another bunch of ancestors?
Ty
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 May 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Well I have eased off a bit on James Smith in the last day or 2. Plenty of other ancestors to research. As said they will be found when they will be found. The common name will not put me off.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 May 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
I do have a couple of ancestors that I've spent more time researching than I'm be prepared to admit (and I wouldn't know anyway).  I still have a couple of ancestors who just seemed to pop out of the ether in the mid 1800s.

I don't really have a research plan, so I potter away on one branch for a while.  Then I might be distracted by a new DNA lead, or some new information that a cousin has found.  At the moment I'm concentrating on the task of finding all the burials for one surname at a cemetery in Fife but I can only do it for an hour or two when the FHC is open and I'm also available so it may take me a couple of months to complete. 

At the moment several things are coming together, particularly for one Scottish branch of the family, due to DNA and finding new records.  It's very exciting.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 May 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
More Norfolk records came onto Ancestry last week and I found another child of Dennis and Elizabeth Helsdon (Nee Harbord) who wed in 1752. Their first known child Dennis was born in 1756. I then found on the 7th June 1754 a Sarah Helsdon baptised at St Michael At Thorn, Norwich thanks to the Bishop's Transcripts and Archdeacons transcripts. It opened up a whole new branch and she died in London in 1848. All her other siblings had moved to London, but one or 2 returned to Norwich.

Sarah Helsdon married John Langley in West Ham in 1782. Her brother Henry had a son called Langley Helsdon.

Dennis Helsdon married Susan Fradine in 1784 in Stepney. Susan is mentioned in the will of John Langley in 1820 as being of Northampton. Dennis died in 1798 and Susan remarried to Samuel Hollowell in 1814 in Burton Latimer, Northants. Not yet found her death but she was still alive in 1820 and of Northampton. Shows how new records coming online can give us missing rellies we never knew about.

Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix