Author Topic: NSW Lunatic Asylum  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NSW Lunatic Asylum
« on: Thursday 17 May 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Harry Aiken, was admitted to NSW Asylum in July 1908, and discharged 4 months later. Was the asylum only for mentally ill people? He had been living in Kent Street, but he had relatives - Hamiltons - at Bullarah Station, near Moran. He was described as an "orchardist". Can anyone tell me more about these places, please? Many thanks if you can give me any more info.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it says  Bullarah Station, near Moran and not Moree?
Bullarah is in Northern NSW.
There was more than one asylum in NSW
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_psychiatric_institutions#New_South_Wales

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 18 03:00 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Harry Aiken, was admitted to NSW Asylum in July 1908, and discharged 4 months later. Was the asylum only for mentally ill people? He had been living in Kent Street, but he had relatives - Hamiltons - at Bullarah Station, near Moran. He was described as an "orchardist". Can anyone tell me more about these places, please? Many thanks if you can give me any more info.

I agree with crisane's reply, and I add:

Ancestry has a current partnership agreement with NSW Archives, and the register of inmates for the Liverpool Asylum for the Infirm and Destitute for Oct 1906 to Mar 1909 has been digitised and uploaded. 

Under the headings Names and Addresses of Relatives, if any and also Remarks, there’s likely many names of relatives, their then addresses – including details for parents etc. 
Under the heading History there should be details of where born, name of ship of arrival, current address, status, occupation, and how long in NSW –
other columns should give  by whom admitted, age and Religion, date admitted, discharged, and how (discharged). 

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/infirm-destitute-asylums-guide

https://www.weekendnotes.com/liverpool-old-mens-asylum/

https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01512

PS Yes, likely that's Moree not Moran.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for those links. I have a copy of the entry in the admissions book which I got from Ancestry. I believe Harry was in the Liverpool Asylum. 10 days after he was discharged he was on a ship back to England! He had arrived in Sydney 3 years previously. His uncle, John Hamilton, lived in Moree. I would love to know why Harry came to be in the asylum.  Any ideas?  :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 03:21 BST (UK) »
The Liverpool asylum in that era was for infirm and/or destitute men.  His abode prior to being admitted is shown as 211 Kent St.  It is very likely that would be 211 Kent Street, in the City of Sydney.

Here is the link to the City of Sydney Assessment Books which will likely give you info about that address in that era.

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books

Sands Directories are also available via City of Sydney archives
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/post-office-directories

211 Kent St, Sydney in the 1900 Sands directories is shown as Model Lodging House Co Limited, E Havilland, Secretary; William Stimson, manager;  J T Walker, Chairman. 

In the 1910 directory, it was still there, and William Stimson was still the manager.

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 04:33 BST (UK) »

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all that info, majm. Absolutely fascinating. I wonder how on earth he ended up in the Asylum... Probably never know!  Thanks again.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Although the word asylum has unfortunate connotations it must be remembered that not every asylum was a lunatic asylum.  Think of modern "asylum seekers" - they are not lunatics, they are seeking refuge and shelter.

The likelihood is that Harry Aiken became ill or infirm, was unable to work and had no income or savings for food and lodgings.  His relatives may not have been able to afford to feed and care for him.

The Australian asylum was probably similar to a British workhouse and attached infirmary.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 00:34 BST (UK) »
Yes,  the model used for this model lodging house in Kent St was based on UK.  When a lodger could not fund their daily token fee the lodger would be considered destitute. So referred to the next SHelter.... Asylum/shelter

JM