Author Topic: NSW Lunatic Asylum  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the info and the links. I see there may be more information on inmates of the Liverpool Asylum - medical records, letters etc - is that right? But these are not available online. I live on the other side of the world, so I was wondering, if some very kind person would be able to do a search for me in case I can find out more about my grandfather? He was listed as Henry Ashbery Aiken, admitted 25/07/1908 and discharged 25/11/08. I have the info on his relatives in GB and Aus, his previous address etc, but maybe there is more to learn? Is that wishful thinking??  If so, then thanks for everyone's help so far.  :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the info and the links. I see there may be more information on inmates of the Liverpool Asylum - medical records etc - is that right? But these are not available online. I live on the other side of the world, so I was wondering, if some very kind person would be able to do a search for me in case I can find out more about my grandfather? He was listed as Henry Ashbery Aiken, admitted 25/07/1908 and discharged 25/11/08. I have the info on his relatives in GB and Aus, his previous address etc, but maybe there is more to learn? Is that wishful thinking??  If so, then thanks for everyone's help so far.  :)

For information
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/liverpool-state-hospital-and-home-guide

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lily,
  I visit the NSW archives every 3 weeks or so.  I will photograph what they have on Henry Ashbery AIKEN the next time I am there. 
  From the info Philip found they are incomplete but open for public access (despite the usual 110 year rule).

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, rosball, that would be brilliant! As my grandfather got on a ship back to the UK just a few days after being discharged from the Asylum, I can't help feeling there must be a letter or something else in the records. Fingers crossed!  ;)

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 June 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lily,
   There were more detailed medical records for those up to June 23 1908 and for those after 1911, but none for July-Dec 1908  :(.

For others there was brief admission and discharge info.

For Henry Ashbery AIKEN :
       age 30
       religion presbyterian
       admission 26-7-08
       ward 4
      disease Pulmonary Tuberc
       discharged 24-11-08
       age 30
       how discharged    O.R.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 June 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
Rosball, thank you so much!  So now I know he was admitted due to having TB.  He obviously recovered and got back to the UK etc.  Thanks again.  :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 June 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
Lily
The O.R. at the end of his discharge information most likely stands for "Own recognisance" which means he signed himself out.
In 1908 it is most unlikely he would be cured of TB in 4 months, before the advent of antibiotics etc.

(Sorry to rain on your parade   :'( :'( )

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Lily52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 June 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra info - I had thought OR probably stood for "on recovery"!  It is a mystery how he managed to get on a ship a few days after leaving the asylum, but I definitely have him on a ship back to the UK (albeit in 3rd class), arriving there, and he seems to have had a long life.  One of the lucky ones!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 01:23 BST (UK) »
Lily
The O.R. at the end of his discharge information most likely stands for "Own recognisance" which means he signed himself out.
In 1908 it is most unlikely he would be cured of TB in 4 months, before the advent of antibiotics etc.

(Sorry to rain on your parade   :'( :'( )

Dawn M

I agree,  O.R. as abbreviation for Own Recognisance, meaning he had provided proof/evidence etc to the Asylum's bursar to show he could support/fund himself and so he was eligible to sign himself out, regardless of lack of recovery from T.B.  Sometimes that evidence would be provided by others'.***  The Liverpool Asylum at least at that time, was not a mental health facility. So that may be why it has not had the 110 year rule applied to its records. The Asylum was for infirm and/or destitute men. 

Ancestry has a current partnership agreement with NSW Archives, and the register of inmates for the Liverpool Asylum for the Infirm and Destitute for Oct 1906 to Mar 1909 has been digitised and uploaded. 
Under the headings Names and Addresses of Relatives, if any and also Remarks, there’s likely many names of relatives, their then addresses – including details for parents etc. 
Under the heading History there should be details of where born, name of ship of arrival, current address, status, occupation, and how long in NSW –
other columns should give  by whom admitted, age and Religion, date admitted, discharged, and how (discharged). 
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/infirm-destitute-asylums-guide
https://www.weekendnotes.com/liverpool-old-mens-asylum/
https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE01512

How did he raise the funds for a 3rd class ticket ... 

*** Usually the 'Remarks' column on the Admission/Discharge document there can be a name - often a relative, may I suggest such a person who should be researched as often it would be that person who helped with funds or arranged for ''others" who had provided for funds for his passage to England.     

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.