Author Topic: Just a little frustrated.....  (Read 3514 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Just a little frustrated.....
« on: Thursday 17 May 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
It seems a bit like everyone else, I've found DNA tests/results a little disappointing.

I've done 2 - 23&Me and Ancestry, and I uploaded my data to GEDMatch.

Whilst a lot of potential matches have popped up, not a single one has been in touch with me.

Of the ones I've been in touch with myself (and have replied - several haven't bothered even to do that), we've not been able to find any potential link - and the other parties don't seem to have been interested in doing further research themselves to find out where the connection might be.

In fact, I spent a long time following up a line for a contact, which he had done very little research on.  I was very hopeful to find a link somewhere, as locations and dates were very close to my own lineage - but no joy, or at least as far as I could get back.

So I fear no brick walls are falling down for me so far.

I have one person who has replied, and I think I have been able to work out which line we must be connected on by the fact that we have no shared matches.

This particular line is, of course, my most difficult one, with common names, reluctance to marry or register childrens' births, and East End of London locations.  There are no unusual occupations, or places of birth for me to cling to.  And even if I find a 'possible' for one of my ancestors, I have no way of proving it.

I think I will leave the DNA alone, and concentrate on digging away at my own tree (with help from always fantastically helpful Rootschatters). 

Who knows, perhaps someone will contact ME with helpful information.....

Apologies for depressing post.  I wasn't overly hopeful, but all these Ancestry DNA people who either have no tree, or have 5 people on a tree, or haven't attached a tree........

:(
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little frustrated.....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 May 18 21:34 BST (UK) »
Well that`s a shame, I have not done anything re DNA nor have any of my contacts-well to my knowledge, but how rude not to acknowledge someone else`s work and their  sharing of   the results.
It is generous to share and a real family tree hunter will always do that.
Can`t understand people  who don`t carry the information as far as possible.
I wonder if anyone in the future will try to  find out about us !
                                                                Viktoria.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
It seems a bit like everyone else, I've found DNA tests/results a little disappointing.

I've done 2 - 23&Me and Ancestry, and I uploaded my data to GEDMatch.

Whilst a lot of potential matches have popped up, not a single one has been in touch with me.

Like you, I have many potential matches at gedmatch, but have not had much luck with contacts. My closest match is somebody who I matched with at ancestry, I suggested she upload to Gedmatch.  Perhaps other Gedmatchers upload after someone else has suggested it to them, and are not really interested in the wider picture.

I don't contact matches at Gedmatch very often, as there is usually so little to go on - there are precious few trees, much fewer than at ancestry, which in itself is dire.

Two people have contacted me from Gedmatch, I have replied promptly, both of them are at Ancestry with trees, but we have not established a match as yet.

At Ancestry, nobody has contacted me at all.  I have sent many messages, some of which are replied to, many more are not.

But I am still happy with my experience, would do so again. Two brick walls broken down, other lines confirmed where there were question marks, etc etc.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Just this week I found  match on Ancestry that may help to break down brick walls for me and the the match.
I have Richard and Elizabeth Cory who appeared in the village of South Hill, Cornwall in 1768 and baptized two daughters. I am descended from one of them. They appeared in this village out of the blue and disappeared, no marriage or burials found for them anywhere in Devon or Cornwall.
When their daughter Elizabeth (my ancestor) married in the same village in 1794 the witnesses were two Richard Corys. So possible that one of the Richard's is the brides brother and the other her father.

My DNA match has a Richard Cory brickwall too. Also in eastern Cornwall a bit further north. His Richard married in 1782 in Morwenstow.

The dna match is 5th to 8th cousin so a suitable relationship to have if his Richard is brother to my Elizabeth. We share 13 centimorgans in 1 chunk so we are very hopeful about this match.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 May 18 18:05 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant mgeneas, very pleased for you, must be really cheering that you have a brick wall looking more fragile than it was!

I suppose I'm feeling defeated by my East London St George in the East (and environs) relatives, who MAY be connected to Norfolk/Suffolk - if the DNA match I've found is on that line, as I believe.

Because I can't quite see how, at present, I'll be able to prove that the East Anglian lot moved into London, although it is probably quite likely they did, potentially at the very end of the 18th/very early 19th Centuries.

Onwards and upwards, though!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 01:37 BST (UK) »
Frustrating but not entirely unexpected, this is just like online member trees all over again. Should be a great collaborative tool to share information, but most are poorly researched and owned by people who gave up and will never see your messages.

Still, it's not a waste of time, as when you do manage to communicate with someone who knows what they're doing and is willing to share, the results are great. Within a week of getting my results I made contact with a third cousin who shared her collection of old family photos, and found someone with a tree that managed to identify a sibling of an Irish ancestor that I never would have found otherwise.

The database will keep on growing and as that happens there will be more people with something to offer.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 02:59 BST (UK) »
So far my DNA results have fallen into two categories.
The first is confirmation of my paper research.  I have linked strongly with three people whom I found during my research.
The second is links to my fathers mothers line which I knew very little about as my father was estranged from her.
Other than that confusion and frustration, but then I do have an unknown line with no paper trail.  This might lead to some answers.
Oh and my son is my son. ;D ;D ;D
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
Nanna52, I bet you were relieved when you found out your son was your son - all those nagging doubts over the years dispelled!   ;D ;D

On a different note, were you not able to find out anything about your grandmother through conventional means? Depending upon which country your father was born in, I would have thought conventional paper trail would have established this. In UK this would be reasonably easy, unless she had a very common name.  Just interested, not questioning your genealogy skills!

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 08:23 BST (UK) »
Grandmother I have started on now.  We have a very strong one hundred year rule in Australia and South Australian records are not the best online.  Having said that there is also an unknown father in the line that creates problems.  I have struggled to decide whether to follow step fathers line or leave it.  So keep putting it in the later basket.  ;D
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531