Author Topic: Just a little frustrated.....  (Read 3525 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little frustrated.....
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
In some ways it is easier in GB. Up until fairly recently you could order practically any birth, marriage or death certificate, however recent. I'm not sure, but I think this has changed now. I remember about 5 years ago a contact applied for and was given the birth and marriage certificate of someone who was still living, so that he could contact him.

I thought this was strange that he applied for them, let alone was sent them.

Then 1939 Register comes along - nobody who was born less than 100 years ago is shown, unless full documentary evidence of death is supplied. This is very strictly enforced by The National Archives.  Not many people born in 1918 are still living today.  If I was one of them, I would love to see records of when I was a young girl.

The 1921 UK census is probably the last one that I will see, 1931 got destroyed, 1941 wasn't taken, and I was born in 1950.  If I'm still alive in 2052, the census will probably be the last thing on my mind.

Good luck in your searches, and everyone else.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
Just a thought...

You will see that I have added my Gedmatch and FTDNA kit numbers to my. profile info at the bottom this post.

One day, someone will use it... probably.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
Just a thought...

You will see that I have added my Gedmatch and FTDNA kit numbers to my. profile info at the bottom this post.

One day, someone will use it... probably.

I used your gedmatch number to compare to mine. We are not at all related. That must be a huge relief to you  ;D  ;)

It was a useful exercise for me as I see you still have a long list of matches on the one to many matches option but mine has mysteriously reduced from a very long list to a mere eight  ???
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
it all still blows my mind.. I have had TWO contacts.. out of goodness knows how many possibles.   
( cos I have given up on it)  One is my Nephew who I have known all HIS life and adore him :) xx the other a cousin that was lovely to find..  But was almost there with her on the paper trail.

:(

xin

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 May 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I have found another way of tracking down DNA contacts on Ancestry - it may be more productive.

I spent some time looking through the latest HINTS - there are more now that Ancestry has the 1939 Register, and simpler to add than looking up on FindMyPast and typing in the info as I did before.

These hints mention some of my more remote connections (I'm a great one for following up siblings' lines for clues), and then there are attached public Ancestry Trees for additional review. 

I don't usually look at these in detail, as I often find the research is quite questionable - but now if you see a reasonably researched tree, you can click on the owner and it will say if it's a DNA match or not.

I just turned one up and have written to say I can see where the DNA link likely comes from, and I have more info on that person and their parentage - fingers crossed this may inspire a response!!

Onwards and upwards.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 May 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
I think this is amusing while reading this post. I checked the two GedMatch numbers and match with both.

Nanna52 I have a small match with you lowering the threshold to 5, and have two Williams lines which are difficult to trace.

Chr   Start Location   End Location   Centimorgans (cM)   SNPs
12   5,294,487   7,734,199   5.8   524

Diplodicus my match with you is a bit stronger but I do have a lot of Welsh - Jones in particular and Irish from Dundalk :-) Haughey, Rice, Branigan.

Chr   Start Location   End Location   Centimorgans (cM)   SNPs
11   45,050,190   65,938,993   9.0   1,367

My kit no. is A629633

Gail
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 May 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
GailB my great grandfather was a Williams from Denbigshire, or somewhere else.  I don't think he was always truthful.  He married and came out to Australia where they settled in Bairnsdale.  This is off the top of my head, but if it sounds familiar I will dig up his information for you.  5 is pretty small though isn't it. 
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 May 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
One of my Williams lines was from Wirral and probably way too far back to even consider being able to make a link. The other is my 4x great grandfather who was born in Anglesey but moved to Liverpool.

But as you say 5 is pretty small and at that level may not even be Williams could be any Welsh name.

Gail
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 May 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail,
My Murthas left Dundalk in c1854 and settled In Sunderland. My mother’s tribe are all from the Tywi Valley between Carmarthen and Lampeter.

I will have a look on GEDmatch but am at grandchildren’s house so will need sharp elbows to gain PC access!

My maternal cousin (Huw) is on GEDmatch too so it might help eliminate one side. a224623

What fun😃
Malcolm Vincent
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f