Author Topic: Advice required  (Read 7838 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 20 May 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Do you know for definate that he stayed in the UK after his divorce

There;s a Australian death record for a John James Thorne in 1980 which gives his father's name as John

I don't have world wide access so no way of seeing his year of birth - but may be an angle to consider if can't fine a death

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 20 May 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
I dont know for definite because my mother lost touch after the divorce in 54 , so its a possibility  His second wife passed away in 2016 which I found from the probate records. There are 2 John Thornes showing on the 2013 probate search , 1 being John William Thorne, though 1 is in Manchester the other Ipswich, not sure how relevant the  probate office locations are. I was told he was showing on the electoral register up until 2013.
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 20 May 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Do you know for definate that he stayed in the UK after his divorce

There;s a Australian death record for a John James Thorne in 1980 which gives his father's name as John

I don't have world wide access so no way of seeing his year of birth - but may be an angle to consider if can't fine a death

Father John, mother Jessie nee Mitchell. Born around 1913. Death in Kerang, Victoria.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 20 May 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
That's eliminated then , thank u for info
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the advice previously, I've received his birth certificate and he as born outside the Jan - Mar 21 quarter as someone on here suggested. His DoB was 19/12/1920. Obviously delayed registering due to Xmas etc. His father's profession is listed as Policeman R.J.C pre - army. Anyone know what R.J.C means please. Thanks in advance.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:16 BST (UK) »
You had 6 weeks to register the birth, whatever the season. Lots of December births aren’t registered until January.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
Any chance his father was Irish and it's RIC, Royal Irish Constabulary.

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
That's what I keep coming up with when googling RJC, not really sure about the Irish connection , would be a new direction , so its worth looking into. Thanks for reply

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 31 May 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Yep, a short period in the RIC from what i can tell. I have his WW1 service numbers, 1 for the ASC and another for the Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Am i able to get records which show the dates of his service and also which battalion he was in, which will point me in the direction of where he was on the Western Front. As always many thanks for any replies - Richard